Railroad Forums 

• UP 4141 George Bush 41 Funeral Train

• Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.
Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#1492843  by litz

I will bet that shortly after this final service to the President, this unit will be donated and retired at the Bush Library.

UP has basically held it in storage since its unveiling in 2005, specifically for this final Presidential request.
 #1492950  by Backshophoss

UP 4141 tended to be used in and around the state of Texas and in the Houston metroplex on transfer runs.
UP did the same with a couple of units in the Salt Lake city metro area for the Winter Olympics.

If UP 4141 is to be donated to the Pres Bush Library,it would happen when the SD70ACE Fleet is retired/sold off/returned to leaser.
 #1492968  by jcburns

I don’t think many protesters would link George HW Bush’s actions with the current political situation. A shiny, gaudy overdecorated blindingly gold locomotive with the current President’s last name in huge letters...well, that might be different.
 #1492983  by justalurker66

The PR benefit of donating the engine or putting it on display at their own museum (especially now that it will serve as part of a presidential funeral train) makes 4141 worth more preserved than wearing it out or letting it rust. It isn't doing UP any good in storage - they might as well get some benefit out of it by putting it on display.
 #1493065  by Meal Period

You can bet there will be more than one Engine. They will not want to chance 4141 breaking down. I have seen Engine 1943 there too, that one honors all branches of military service. Probably will be a third engine at least, just in case.
 #1493099  by JackRussell

litz wrote:I will bet that shortly after this final service to the President, this unit will be donated and retired at the Bush Library.

UP has basically held it in storage since its unveiling in 2005, specifically for this final Presidential request.
Would the library even want it? To properly display it, you would need some amount of space, and unless there is a siding going up next to the library, transporting the locomotive will be incredibly expensive.
 #1493122  by ConstanceR46

Honestly, i think that the UP's gonna try and wash their hands of 4141 ASAP.

It's not gonna be a good PR look to say the least if 4141 ends up wrecked, burnt to a crisp, or one of the several other things that could happen to trains.