Railroad Forums 

• Monsoon Mayhem

• Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.
Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#1479139  by Gilbert B Norman

"When it rains, it pours", as this derailment incident near Tucson appears attributed to just that:

Arizona Daily Star

Fair Use:
...Fire crews are investigating a massive Union Pacific train derailment believed to be caused by heavy rains east of Interstate 10 Tuesday afternoon.

At least 20 railcars were involved, said Brian Keeley, a Northwest Fire District spokesman. He said there were no immediate reports of hazardous materials on the train
Looks like that is some "high value lading" within those UPS trailers on the ground. Oh well, somebody gonna hafta do without with whatever trinket they impulsively ordered from Amazon - well at least for a while.

Now I must say, I'm on pins and needles a bit myself with the UP. My new car is about a week overdue - and the Salesgal has no ready answer other than to say it was shipped from Portland and was expected West Chicago, where UP has an auto handling facility. I even said to her "Dear, I'm just going to go out there and drive it away myself". But I then added, "Those UP Pinkertons they have out there are law unto themselves".
 #1479147  by Railjunkie

A good friend lives in Marana not to far from the UP derailment. Sent me some photos from around his house. He will be shoveling landscape rocks like we shovel snow. Most of his stone is down in the street. A few pics of a dry washes that were overflowing 3 to 5 ft deep. Dont get caught up in a flash flood a ticket you will receive. Kids in the car with you. Dont pass go dont collect $200.00 go directly to jail.

Figures 3ish inches rain in less than an hour. Welcome to the desert.
 #1479156  by K P Harrier

A contributing factor to the washout may ("may") have been what aerials show as an old, wooden bridge. That concept was brought up in the "Sunset Route Two-Tracking Updates" thread this date. Readers of this thread may want to checkout that thread, and return here.
 #1479173  by Gilbert B Norman

Gilbert B Norman wrote:Now I must say, I'm on pins and needles a bit myself with the UP. My new car is about a week overdue - and the Salesgal has no ready answer other than to say it was shipped....
Off topic update, I learned today from the Salesgal "who doesn't know stinky from Shinola" about railroads, that it has arrived at Logistics Park. That's a BNSF facility on the Chillicothe Sub near Joliet, so I guess it came on the BNSF.
 #1479206  by Backshophoss

The UPS Claims Dept will be busy for a while,dealing with UP and the Customers that have lost items to this wreck.
 #1479260  by R&DB

Gilbert B Norman » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:21 pm

Gilbert B Norman wrote:
Now I must say, I'm on pins and needles a bit myself with the UP. My new car is about a week overdue - and the Salesgal has no ready answer other than to say it was shipped....

Off topic update, I learned today from the Salesgal "who doesn't know stinky from Shinola" about railroads, that it has arrived at Logistics Park. That's a BNSF facility on the Chillicothe Sub near Joliet, so I guess it came on the BNSF.
Mr. Norman, if you had purchased an American made car you could probably avoided this anxiety. :wink:
 #1479409  by Gilbert B Norman

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Off topic update, I learned today from the Salesgal "who doesn't know stinky from Shinola" about railroads, that it has arrived at Logistics Park. That's a BNSF facility on the Chillicothe Sub near Joliet, so I guess it came on the BNSF.
Off topic: my car is at the dealer; I've seen it - safe and sound. Today I pay for it; I get it tomorrow.
 #1479471  by Backshophoss

Marana is irrigated farm land north(RR west) of Tucson,is crisscrossed with ditches and Canals directing the water to the fields.
That Monsoon may have overwhelmed that system.