Railroad Forums 

• Questions on the DDA40X

• Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.
Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#1399566  by Railman20

Hi everyone I'm new here and I apologize if these questions have been asked before so without further ado, here are my questions. Are the trucks on the DDA40X powered simulatneously by both engines s ( power from each engine going to both trucks.) or does each engine power a respective truck (Front egnine powers front truck and back engine powers back truck or back engie powers front truck and front engine powers back truck). Also can it be run with one enigne powering both trucks as a means of saving power when pulling light trains. I have tried looking online for the desired information but the closest I found was this ( https://www.quora.com/How-does-a-train-bogie-work" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) but only mentions the DDA40X once and provides vague information on how the trucks work.
 #1399966  by timz

Powering all eight traction motors from one alternator would involve enough pointless complication that I'm guessing it's out of the question. Most likely no mention of it in the operator manual
http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/manual/dd40x-om.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1399985  by NorthWest

From page 10/101:
The General Motors Model DDA40X locomotive, illustrated in Figs. 0-1 and 1-1, is designed for heavy duty mainline service. It is equipped with two separate and independent power units. Each power unit consists of a 3300 horsepower 16 cylinder turbocharged diesel engine directly connected to a main generator which delivers power to four traction motors, each of which is geared to an axle and pair of driving wheels. The four traction motors are located in a single truck. Power from the No. 1 engine is directed to the No. 1 truck and power from the No. 2 engine to the No. 2 truck.