Railroad Forums 

• Union Pacific F 3 Question

• Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.
Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#1360210  by Don Neibling

Hello,
I am trying to make a very old model of an F unit as accurate as possible. I do not know which company produced it but it is only driven by the rear wheels and has an ancient looking motor.
What I am after is a photo of the rear end of a Union Pacific F 3 as built, not one that has been converted to a later model unless some one can show me that they are the same.I have four different
brands of F unit models and they all differ quite a lot. I have two different sets of drawings and they also differ. I also have photographs of F3's converted to F9's but I suspect that the rear end detail has been changed
Can anyone give me the name of any publication that contains such a photo? I will be making it into a passenger locomotive and I have searched the internet without success but that does not mean that I did not miss something. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Kindest regards,
Don.
 #1362505  by GWoodle

From the model side you may have an old LifeLike or Model Power loco with a cheap motor driving the rear wheels only. It may be better to get an Athearn, Atlas or Walthers and go from there.