Railroad Forums 

• seniority transfer

• Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.
Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#1339406  by drifter001

I was told apparently there is a website for up employees to post seniority transfers. anyone here know what it is or how id be able to find it? thanks
 #1339885  by Pj

None that I know of. The closest would be over at yardlimits - however seniority transfers are very hard to come by with CMS and Manpower getting in the way.
 #1340287  by drifter001

Pj wrote:None that I know of. The closest would be over at yardlimits - however seniority transfers are very hard to come by with CMS and Manpower getting in the way.
with over 50 guys on the CT board in our seniority district, I would think it'd be worth a shot at least....even just giving up my seniority seems worth it since i only have like 2 months worth anyway
 #1340392  by Pj

Being that you are on the cutoff board (not sure how deep) - chances are near zero. You actually may have a better chance making a transfer to another area/service unit, however there are guys cut off in most service unit due to all the hiring they did and the sudden dip in traffic.

You can try, but if you can't hold a job, neither will the person who took your spot - especially if they are holding.

Make sure your email is up to date as UP will email out potential transfer opportunities in the system time to time that you can put in for. You will need to relinquish your seniority if you can leave, so don't plan on going back to Portland anytime soon but anything is possible (but unlikely - and again you will start at the bottom of the roster).

See if there is a AWTS or AWRR board in your zone that you can go to. Chances are if you are on the CT board, then that option is out.

Doesn't hurt that if there is other places you wouldn't mind working, compare their trip rates of where you are. You might actually be able to make more money in another place.
 #1340465  by drifter001

Pj wrote:Being that you are on the cutoff board (not sure how deep) - chances are near zero. You actually may have a better chance making a transfer to another area/service unit, however there are guys cut off in most service unit due to all the hiring they did and the sudden dip in traffic.

You can try, but if you can't hold a job, neither will the person who took your spot - especially if they are holding.

Make sure your email is up to date as UP will email out potential transfer opportunities in the system time to time that you can put in for. You will need to relinquish your seniority if you can leave, so don't plan on going back to Portland anytime soon but anything is possible (but unlikely - and again you will start at the bottom of the roster).

See if there is a AWTS or AWRR board in your zone that you can go to. Chances are if you are on the CT board, then that option is out.

Doesn't hurt that if there is other places you wouldn't mind working, compare their trip rates of where you are. You might actually be able to make more money in another place.
Thanks much. I was leaning more towards just giving up my seniority since i don't have any anyways and try transferring up. Portland is divided into 2 zones, zone 1 and zone 2. portland and seattle are zone 1 and thats where i want to go. zone 1 is spokane hermiston and la grande. theres 61 guys cut off in my zone right now and more to come. Im not officially cut off yet, still on the bump board but don't think ill be there much longer. I was also thinking of talking to my assigned myo and see what she thinks since she's successfully done a transfer before so we'll see