Railroad Forums 

• City of St Louis with Wabash power??

• Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.
Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#1303097  by The tram man

Just found this picture on Wikipedia. Not only does it show the City of St Louis being pulled by Wabash power, but Wabash power with UP logo and City of St Louis text. Is there any truth to this image? Did Wabash E-units ever pull the City, and if so, did it ever wear UP heralds?

The picture is dated "circa 1950." Does anyone know where i might be able to find the 1950's consist?
 #1309230  by GWoodle

The tram man wrote:Just found this picture on Wikipedia. Not only does it show the City of St Louis being pulled by Wabash power, but Wabash power with UP logo and City of St Louis text. Is there any truth to this image? Did Wabash E-units ever pull the City, and if so, did it ever wear UP heralds?

The picture is dated "circa 1950." Does anyone know where i might be able to find the 1950's consist?
I have the Wabash in color book, it clearly shows:
1) Wabash is in the door light or 2 light camp. The logo in the photo covers this light. Some debate if the Wabash flag is painted on the unit, or painted on a steel plate with full clearance for the nose door.
2) City of St Louis a joint UP-Wabash operation from 1946. Wabash power into Denver, UP power into St Louis. Later trains kept home power on home rails. No dual locos.
3) City of St Louis had some coach & sleepers Wabash letter in UP color cars. Sleeper & coach to LA, Sleepers & coach to SF.
4) City of Kansas City day train all old heavy coach So
5) Picture is good for "City of St Louis" on the side of early E7. Later E8 have this area blank.

Wabash power does pull City of St Louis from Kansas City to St Louis home rails
I don't see any evidence of Wabash buying UP power
 #1309322  by The tram man

GWoodle wrote:I have the Wabash in color book, it clearly shows:
1) Wabash is in the door light or 2 light camp. The logo in the photo covers this light. Some debate if the Wabash flag is painted on the unit, or painted on a steel plate with full clearance for the nose door.
2) City of St Louis a joint UP-Wabash operation from 1946. Wabash power into Denver, UP power into St Louis. Later trains kept home power on home rails. No dual locos.
3) City of St Louis had some coach & sleepers Wabash letter in UP color cars. Sleeper & coach to LA, Sleepers & coach to SF.
4) City of Kansas City day train all old heavy coach So
5) Picture is good for "City of St Louis" on the side of early E7. Later E8 have this area blank.

Wabash power does pull City of St Louis from Kansas City to St Louis home rails
I don't see any evidence of Wabash buying UP power
1) So their units most likely never wore the UP herald?
2) That was actually new to me. I knew about the train, but i can't recall knowing that it was a dual operation.
3) I have seen a few photos of that actually, though all have been coaches.
4) And that relates to this, how?
5) That i've seen, but i've never seen any text in that area.

I never said that they bought any UP power, but i thought that the UP herald might have been applied as a sign of cooperation.