Railroad Forums 

• NYSW Alco RS-1s -- 1940s

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#829995  by Slobo

Looking for more information about the freight RS-1s "as delivered in the mid-late 1940s. These were the freight version without steam generator (#246-256 even). Ive searched the web high and low for early photos but am only finding a few of S-2s.

1. All were delivered in the Maroon & Grey original scheme (I'm pretty sure) but I'm looking for any other detail info as I review an Atlas RS1 in this scheme. For example, when did they get their horns moved to the cab roof from cab front (or were these particular ones delivered that way)? When did they start receiving the allover silver with maroon stripe paint? Were there other detail differences/anomalies from "stock" RS-1 as modeled by Atlas as delivered (like windscreens, etc.)?

2. Where were the freight RS-1s typically assigned and what was their typical operating climate? Did they frequently run solo or lashed in twos? Did they often run short hood first?

Any help on these pre-repaint would be greatly appreciated.
 #830198  by CarterB

#832037  by trainwayne1

254 and 256 were delivered in the silver with the thin maroon stripe along the hood. Here's a picture of 256 in Little Ferry after it was retired....it was never repainted into the solid silver scheme.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... ?id=776707

Here's a picture of 252 in the as-delivered paint after the silver had been power washed off to prep it for the painting into the Bi-centenial scheme.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... x?id=90057

The horns on the RS-1's came mounted on the roof from Alco, but there were 2 different versions of the way they were mounted. Besides the horns, on 230-246 you'll need to add the steam generator stack and vent pipes, along with adding the correct rectangular stack, marker lights on the long hood and sunshades.
If you're interested send me a PM and I can give you the correct part numbers to convert the Atlas models.

They ran both long and short hood forward.
 #832058  by Noel Weaver

Not all of the RS-1's had steam generators. The ones that did have them had rather small generators that would probably
heat 4 or 5 cars but not much more than that. It might have been a Vapor model OK 4615 but I am not sure about that.
As for their through freight operation, one train would have three or four RS-1's, even numbers only as odd numbers did not
MU. It must have been something to hear a bunch of these engines wide open upgrade on the Susquehanna which as we all
knows has grades all over the place.
Noel Weaver
 #838398  by woodsie

I grew up in Franklin, NJ, watching LHR's #60 steam past our house on the mine hill run in
the early 1950's. The NYS&W RS-1s were impossible for a kid to watch, because they ran
on the Hanford branch at night. One RS-1 brought loaded ore cars [and other freight]
from the N J Zinc mine in Ogdensburg to Franklin Jct, and ran north thru Hamburg,
Sussex and on to the exchange w/ the NY & NJ just south of Unionville, NY.
That track was removed down to Franklin in the '70's [?] The track was still in place
from Beaver Lake to Franklin last I knew.
There are some books on the Susq. with color pix.