Railroad Forums 

• Route Thoughts

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#787073  by Jeff Smith

So I'm looking at Rich Green's great track map MNRR v6, which incorporates a lot of WOH lines. The NYS&W route just really fascinates me. It kind of winds around after leaving the West Shore CSX line, crossing other lines, including the NJT LRT. It winds all the way west, then back north and east it seems to join up with the Port Jervis line/NS Southern Tier.

It just seems like a really useful line. Has any thought been given to resurrecting passenger service along it, at least on the southern portion heading west? It seems like there would be some good stations along that line, certainly, more so than the cutoff, or so it would seem. Where does the "Northern Branch" fit in with all of this (and I know that's been talked about up to the New York border, although I'm not really sure where it's at). How busy is the route?
 #787210  by Otto Vondrak

Sarge wrote:It just seems like a really useful line. Has any thought been given to resurrecting passenger service along it, at least on the southern portion heading west? It seems like there would be some good stations along that line, certainly, more so than the cutoff, or so it would seem. Where does the "Northern Branch" fit in with all of this (and I know that's been talked about up to the New York border, although I'm not really sure where it's at). How busy is the route?
Northern Branch is former Erie, now operated by CSX: http://railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=14381

Passenger service on NYSW: http://railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2015&start=0

Please see those threads for more info.

-otto-