Railroad Forums 

• remaining Alco switchers?

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#760467  by airman00

I happened across some old photo's of the other Alco switchers NYS&W had. They had six such switchers. Obviously #206 remains, but are any of the other 5 still known to exist or have they been scrapped? And #206 must've been quite a engine, as she survived long after the others were gone, or so it seems.
 #760652  by airman00

scottychaos wrote:Here you go:

http://gold.mylargescale.com/Scottychaos/susquehanna/

(I know..the list needs updating again! ;)
I plan to get to it soon..)

Scot
Hey thanks. #206 reminds me of NJT #502. Long after NJT's other sw's were gone, (albeit still operating), 502 is still on roster going strong. Here 206 hung around long after the others were gone. Any idea why she managed to hang around so long?
 #760913  by Otto Vondrak

airman00 wrote:Hey thanks. #206 reminds me of NJT #502. Long after NJT's other sw's were gone, (albeit still operating), 502 is still on roster going strong. Here 206 hung around long after the others were gone. Any idea why she managed to hang around so long?
??? NJT 502 is not an Alco... nor is it NYSW?
 #761059  by scottychaos

airman00 wrote:Hey thanks. #206 reminds me of NJT #502. Long after NJT's other sw's were gone, (albeit still operating), 502 is still on roster going strong. Here 206 hung around long after the others were gone. Any idea why she managed to hang around so long?
well, just because 206 is still around, doesnt mean it spent an unusual amount of time actually operating with the Susquehanna..
Its probably been off the NYSW roster for 20 years at least..maybe more.
Probably served 3 or 4 decades anyway, but thats not terribly unusual for an Alco switcher..

Actually, the three GP18's will probably end up holding the all-time operating record with NYSW..
they had about 45 years of continious use before storage a few years ago..
and I think one of them is back in service?
it could make a solid half-century on the roster!

Scot