Railroad Forums 

• renamed: ROWs questions.

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#629949  by hrfcarl

In their current state, what is the maximum speed on the main lines? With the best tracks and signals, what is the maximum speed that could be obtained on these lines?

Thanks.
Last edited by hrfcarl on Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #636629  by hrfcarl

OK, since I got no responses on my original post, let me try this: What are the running times Syracuse to Binghamton, Binghamton to Port Jervis, Port Jervis to Sparta Junction and Sparta Junction to Little Ferry? Past posts state Bingo to PJ at 3-3.5 Hrs, same today? I could not find the other pairs.

Thanks.
 #636660  by ANDY117

North of Binghamton it is 25, with 10 MPH slow orders in a few places as of a couple months ago. I think on the CNY it's either 25 or 40. Not sure which.
 #637334  by hrfcarl

I renamed this thread as I realized I had other questions about the ROWs other than just speed:

Are there any restrictions on the type of freight cars that can be moved on the ROWs? For example: I know double stack well cars and hoppers can, but what about auto racks and others?

Using this map http://www.nj.gov/transportation/gis/maps/railroads.pdf there seemed to be a ROW connecting the spur heading south from Franklin to the main line between Sparta & Hardyson (was not sure if Odgensburg was on spur or main line). Why was this connection abandoned? Was the track pulled?

Why is the speed north of Binghamton limited to 10 & 25 mph? Track conditions or curves not shown clearly on maps?

Thanks.
 #637399  by trainwayne1

hrfcarl wrote:Are there any restrictions on the type of freight cars that can be moved on the ROWs? For example: I know double stack well cars and hoppers can, but what about auto racks and others?
In the 90's, was a semi-regular train of empty auto racks the moved west from the CSX ( Q-413?) in Little Ferry, and the NYS&W itself, for a time, had a customer that shipped used rental cars from the Little Ferry/North Bergen area

Using this map http://www.nj.gov/transportation/gis/maps/railroads.pdf there seemed to be a ROW connecting the spur heading south from Franklin to the main line between Sparta & Hardyson (was not sure if Odgensburg was on spur or main line). Why was this connection abandoned? Was the track pulled?
The spur that shows on the map was the NYS&W's Hanford branch, which ran from Beaver Lake to the connection with the Middletown and Unionville at the NJ/NY state line. This branch was actually a part of the original New Jersey Midland main line. The section of the line from Franklin Jct. to the M & U connection was abandoned in 1958, and in 1959 the Lehigh & Hudson bought the 2.7 miles of the Hanford Branch from Franklin Jct. to Ogdensburg to service the NJ Zinc company's Sterling Hill Mine , and the balance of the Hanford Branch from Franklin Jct. to Beaver Lake was abandoned by the NYS&W and the track was pulled up.
 #637401  by NYS&W142Fan

About a month or so ago I got stuck :-D at a grade crossing in Rochelle Park while a freight went by. There were several autoracks on the train.