Railroad Forums 

• 2009 Maple Festival Shuttle Trains News

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#623468  by kemay59

According to information provided by the SUNY Cortland Public Relations Office, the New York, Susquehanna, and Western Railway will receive a subsidy of $22,000 to operate the 2009 Central New York Maple Festival shuttle trains between Cortland and Marathon on March 28 and 29. The money comes from a $50,000 state grant obtained by New York State Senator Thomas Libous of Binghamton for the second year of a tourist train study conducted by the SUNY Cortland Department of Recreation, Parks, and Leisure Studies. The NYS&W received $37,815 out of another $50,000 state grant for operational aid for the 2008 Maple Festival shuttle trains. According to the SUNY Cortland tourist train study, the 2008 shuttle trains carried 3,698 passengers in two days, the most in recent years.

There was speculation that the 2008 Maple Festival shuttle trains were going to be the last runs in 25 years of operation with the listing of all NYS&W passenger train equipment for sale on the D. F. Barnhardt and Associates website in March 2008. While much of the equipment has been sold since last year, the four ex-Metra bi-level coaches used on the shuttle trains are still listed for sale. The railroad will need to obtain a generator-equipped passenger car or HEP-equipped locomotive to provide heat and lights for the four coaches because NYS&W Power Car 501 was purchased by the Kentucky Railway Museum in August 2008.

For more detailed information, visit the following websites:

Central New York Maple Festival – http://www.maplefest.org

SUNY Cortland Tourist Train Study – http://www.cortland.edu/rec/projects.html

Senator Tom Libous (2007 and 2008 Member Items) – http://www.tomlibous.govoffice.com

D. F. Barnhardt & Associates – http://www.trains-trams-trolleys.com/home/NYSW/nysw.htm

Kentucky Railway Museum – http://www.kyrail.org/rollingstock.asp
 #623893  by Otto Vondrak

This is good news for the MapleFest organizers... and I guess that means one more year of passenger trains operated by the NYSW!

-otto-
 #624071  by lvrr325

So in a year of heavy ridership it still cost almost $40,000. Now they've been given half the money, and still need to find a source of hotel power for the cars? I wouldn't hold my breath just yet.
 #624085  by RS115

Not to rain on the parade but how is this an appropriate usage of funds that were supposed to be "for the second year of a tourist train study conducted by the SUNY Cortland Department of Recreation, Parks, and Leisure Studies.?" Is the university now going to do the study on the cuff or was it a BS excuse to pull money out of someones pocket that wasn't paying attention?
 #624362  by kemay59

According to the State Senator Tom Libous website, the State University of New York College at Cortland received a $50,000 2008-09 member item state grant for "development of a study about uses of passenger rail for tourism between Binghamton and Cortland, and operational aid for operating tourism trains."
 #637781  by kemay59

I spoke with a Maple Festival volunteer today who told me that the shuttle trains between Cortland and Marathon will be running this year. Festival organizers were told by the NYS&W that the railroad plans to operate the trains on March 28 and 29. The operating schedule will be the same as last year. Watch the Maple Festival website for updates in the coming weeks.
 #638901  by lvrr325

kemay59 wrote:There was speculation that the 2008 Maple Festival shuttle trains were going to be the last runs in 25 years of operation with the listing of all NYS&W passenger train equipment for sale on the D. F. Barnhardt and Associates website in March 2008. While much of the equipment has been sold since last year, the four ex-Metra bi-level coaches used on the shuttle trains are still listed for sale. The railroad will need to obtain a generator-equipped passenger car or HEP-equipped locomotive to provide heat and lights for the four coaches because NYS&W Power Car 501 was purchased by the Kentucky Railway Museum in August 2008
 #640464  by Otto Vondrak

I counter your quote with a re-quote!!
Otto Vondrak wrote:Any word what equipment they will use? Thought everything was on the block...
Reading the quote above, I gather...

a) All NYSW passenger equipment is for sale, which means to me it is not readily available for service.

b) They HEP generator car was sold, and a replacement must be found before trains run again.

Did I miss something? Or misunderstand? Or misunderestimate?

-otto-
 #640859  by lvrr325

Okay, let's put it this way - If you're selling your car, even if you have it listed through a third party service like say, eBay, is there anything stopping you from continuing to drive that car, so long as it's registered and insured?

So what then keeps the NYS&W from using equipment it still owns, for train service, so long as it's been maintained and inspected as required by the FRA, even though it's posted for sale via a third-party broker? It's not like the stuff is offline somewhere sitting on some kind of used train car lot. They don't even have to go to the DMV and put license plates on, unless it's a hi-rail truck.

Now the hotel power is a problem that hasn't been addressed, but perhaps they can lease or borrow something for the weekend for a rate similar to that of what a locomotive lease costs. Or for that matter simply lease a locomotive with HEP capability.
 #641257  by RichM

Good speculation, Steve, I was thinking the same thing... between NY&GL, Finger Lakes, the folks further NE, seems like you might be able to scrape together a consist and actually improve its utilization...
 #641874  by Steve F45

I emailed the media relations dept at NYSW.COM and got a response back this morning.

I had asked what equipment will be used? if it will be th ex metra cars or someone elses on loan?

I had asked if they would borrow JW's NYGL E8 and his coaches?

I got the email back today,
As last year we will be using the Metra Cars for the Maple Festival
I responded back asking how they will power the cars. so we'll see if they can help out.
 #641948  by Otto Vondrak

lvrr325 wrote:Okay, let's put it this way - If you're selling your car, even if you have it listed through a third party service like say, eBay, is there anything stopping you from continuing to drive that car, so long as it's registered and insured?
Fair enough!

-otto-
 #642645  by D.Carleton

Quick questions: what is the status of the 3372? Is she still serviceable/blue carded? I cannot recall an occurrence of a U34 powering a set of bilevels. This may be the first and last opportunity to do so.