Railroad Forums 

• Double track over Hackensack?

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#573490  by fw2008

Hi;
When the new bridge over River st, Hackensack was built, I applauded NYSW for building a double-track bridge. But years have gone by, and still there is no 2nd track, and more importantly, no new bridge over the Hackensack.
The aging wood bridge has got to be very close to it's end of life, and I'm thinking that the new concrete bridge will be double track (of course), leading to a new double track main to the meadows, which would also include a new, double-track bridge over the Overpeck, next to CSX's.

Anybody have any news about this project, or whether it is a project at all? Or is NYSW going to wait until they drop a loco (and crew) into the drink?

FW
 #573553  by oknazevad

They may be waiting for NJ Transit to pick up the tab, as part of their "Cross County Line" plans.
 #573631  by Steve F45

well i think they kept it double tracked "just in case" they needed it. better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it. But if you get stuck at thelight under the trestle look at the concrete abutments on the side thats used. Some very very nasty cracks developing. Now the only problem with double tracking the hackensack portion west of the bridge is the buildings. Back when it was double tracked i dont think the buildings on the north side were built as close as they are now. You can clearly see the track coming off the bridge would run right into a portion of the old hackensack station (mexican restaurant).

The hackensack river bridge, yea it probably will need to be replaced soon. It will be a PITA with access to that area with the park and concrete plant on the bogota side and the record property on the hackensack side. But im sure its inspected regularly along with the overpeck creek bridge. Now with that bridge. I think they have to be able to have it so it can be opened if needed. I thought i had read that somewhere. but replacement of that bridge will be a pita also considering the amount of csx trains that run across it from the riverline.

and here is the email i got the other day when inquiring about the nysw service.
I am replying to your inquiry of 8/20/2008 regarding subject: NYSW and Westshore service.

The original New York Susquehanna & Western (NYS&W) project spanned more than 30 miles and proposed reinstituting rail service on the NYS&W line between Sparta and Hawthorne, where trains would then merge onto the Main Line for continuation on to the Secaucus Junction Station and Hoboken Terminal. Unfortunately, this project is not being advanced at this time.

However, we are proceeding with the Passaic-Bergen Rail project, which utilizes the existing New York, Susquehanna and Western Railroad right-of-way between Hawthorne and Hackensack. Passenger service between these points will be achieved using diesel-multiple-unit vehicles. Nine stations are proposed, including a passenger transfer in Hawthorne to the Main Line. The project is in the preliminary engineering phase and a Draft Environmental Impact Statement is in preparation.

We anticipate the Draft Environmental Impact Statements for the Passaic-Bergen project will be ready within the next several months. This project has an expected completion date of 2010/2011. For more information, please write to:
 #573728  by fw2008

I'm not surprised about the cracks in the bridge abutments. Hopefully though, it's just the outer face, and not the whole structure.
I did see the situation with the ROW in Hackensack from Live Earth. I suppose that if NJT wants to double-track the line the Mexican restaurant and some other buildings will just have to go<g>.

Perhaps the wood bridge has survived the years better than a steel bridge would have.
The bridge over the Overpeck does not have to be moveable. The CSX bridge is not, so it would not make sense that the NYSW bridge would have to be.
The way I understand it, when CSX built the new bridge, they got a lot of protest from boaters who used the small marina on the other side. They were intent on building a non-moveable bridge, so they simply purchased the marina, then closed it.

I'm a bit dismayed that the original Hawthorne to Sparta project was put on hold, but then, I understand the situation that NJT and the rest of the state is in financially. They're committing a lot of money to THE Tunnel project.

So basically, the Bergen-Passaic project will bring "shuttle" service between Hackensack and Hawthorne, but will not connect to anything else.
That's a shame. If the service were to be extended over the Hackensack river into Bogota, then down into North Bergen, it could at least take commuters to the HBLR station in North Bergen.
But perhaps the intent of the project is to revive Hackensack, by bringing people from Passaic to jobs there, where buses have trouble making the trip due to the congestion of the east-west routes (like Essex st).

Since NJT has put the Hoboken/Sparta project on hold, I wonder what the fate of the Northern Branch project will be. That area desperately needs rail service, since there are no major highways in the area.
Service on the River Line would be nice, but at this point I don't think it's going to happen, since CSX has so much freight traffic on the line. IMO, with the Pascack Valley line fairly close to the towns along the River Line, we can get by without it, at least for the next 10 years.

I need to increase the amount of reading I do on this subject, since things are changing so often.

FW
 #574107  by cjvrr

The bridge over River Street in Hackensack was a Bergen County project. They oversaw the construction and obtained the funding from the State. One of NYS&W's requirements was that the bridge be two tracks wide to accommodate future growth or the NJT light rail project that was being kicked around at the time.

The light rail project has since morphed into the DMU project. There is still talk of a second track being layed through Hackensack up to Hawthorne for this service. The double track right of way is in tact in Hackensack and elsewhere, so it would be possible to re-install the double track. However the bridge between Paterson and Hawthorne was never double track, so I am unsure what the plans are to get a second track to Hawthorne.

IMHO with the limited amount of freight service on the NYS&W at this point, I would think the single track could accommodate both services with some additional passing sidings.
 #574293  by Steve F45

when going thru hackensack earlier i drove past the old station to look at the row west and the bridge on the east. I think the reason it looks like the tracks wont fit is because the original trestle was not nearly as wide as this one. But the row west yea it has enough room for 2 tracks, a lil snug but should fit.
 #574984  by fw2008

I take it there's no talk about extending the Bergen Passaic service to North Bergen, where passengers could transfer to HBLR?

FW
 #575121  by Steve F45

read the quote i have above. its directly from njt themselves, unedited. i'de say start writing expressing how the cross county line is a complete waste of money and that push-pull service should be utilized instead of dmu. this is going to be a total failure and in my own opinion will last just over a year.