Railroad Forums 

• NYS&W Speeder sighting. (not a golf cart)

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#550457  by photorailfan

Hi, i've been reading posts on this site for years but never really posted. Around 2003 i was trackside at CP5 just north of the office. I was with a friend when we spotted a yellow golf cart with the susquehanna logo. It had flanged wheels on it and it was on a flat car. I'm sure it wuold have been fun to drive that around. Unfortunatly, i never photographed it. I regret not doing that. Anyway, i would like to know where it is and if there is any way to photograph it. Thanks.

Mods note: title edited to reflect reality...........; )
 #551875  by washingtonsecondary

I'm wondering if you're confusing it with a small speeder.
 #551930  by photorailfan

Hi guys, This was deffinatly a golf cart modified to ride the rails. I dont' think speeders have flimsy yellow canopies. I'm going to contact my old friend that video taped it. I hope he didn't tape over it.
 #552132  by photorailfan

Interesting video. Speeders are funny to look at. Maybe that is what i saw but i would realy like to check the footage my old friend took to confirm it. I saw this thing in 2002 or 2003. Back then i wasn't realy hard core into photographing trains so i didn't pay as much attention. Thanks for sharing the video. If i see the footage of this thing i'll post it on here.
 #552152  by henry6

Yes, often a track car had a flimsy looking canvass roof or awning. Some were roll ups. Some even full canvass cabs, kind of like a jeep on tracks in that respect.
 #554307  by cjvrr

If its the speeder I think it is, its a home built car. Doesn't look like any other speeder out there. Actually made with coach seats from LIRR cars.

The owner also works as an engineer for the NYS&W. You probably saw the car on one of the Volunteer Railroaders Association's motorcar trips.

We have several coming up this year too, the first being on the Utica Branch July 19th.

http://www.vratrips.org/sched.html

Chris
 #554615  by fw2008

I see there is another excursion coming up on the southern div Oct 18-19.
I would like to photograph the event. Can anyone tell me what time they get started?

Thanks

FW
 #554720  by cjvrr

Al,

As far as the Utica trip (July 19th) we were not actively looking for flaggers, but you are more than welcome to attend and help out. This will be a repeat of the 2006 trip you were on. Remember the NYS&W doesn't allow riders or helpers under the age of 18. The CACV ride will be a fun day open to families and riders over the age of 5. No guarantee there will be a seat, but we always squeeze a few people in. Call time for set on in Sangerfield is 7:30am with an 8:30 - 9am departure. 10 cars are attending the Utica trip. CACV is 8am in Cooeprstown Junction, 8 cars planned for the CACV trip.

FW,

The Southern Division trip originates and terminates at the Riverdale bulk transfer yard. We usually get started between 8am and 9am both days.

And yes, the unusual speeder mentioned in the original post should be on all of these trips. He is usually the lead or hind car.

Chris

Chris
 #555060  by fw2008

Watching the speeder video, I was surprised to find that the vehicles tripped the crossing circuit. I would have thought they would have insulated wheels.
All the better though. It's a lot more fun to have traffic wait for you!

FW