Railroad Forums 

• F45 3636 Out of Service

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#544112  by GOLDEN-ARM

(thinks Steve-O needs to be locked in the cab, and sent across the railroad, in the early morning hours, some January......) It might be cold, but at least it's drafty....... :P It looks like it would be fun to run, but the truth is far from that. Yank the prime mover, and sub-assemblies, and rent it out, as affordable, low income housing!!! :P The 644 on the P&W is just as lousy a ride. Just a thought. :wink:
 #544300  by Steve F45

GA, its strange about 3636, nysw crews hate it saying its cold and drafty, but when csx was borrowing it on hte 404/403's they loved it saying it was warm and confortable in the cold. go figure.
 #545640  by rcbsd45

The 3636 is an interesting unit, to be sure. Most crews were not fond of having to board it on the sides as the climb and ability to hand up ones grip into the cab were challenging for some employees... Of course, they could always use the alternative, and climb the front, and enter through the nose by opening the door which also holds the headlight housing. The employees I've talked to give it mixed reviews at best in terms of creature comforts, but almost all of them agree that when it had to, it knew how to get down and dig in and pull its weight and work its heart out. And THATS what its supposed to do best(and usually did). Soi i suppose its a matter of function versus form, and function usually won. Having ridden the locomotive a number of times, i can attest to the crew's mixed reviews. A novelty in terms of mainline railroading in the 21st century, and as the locomotive is approaching its 40 year mark, I'd say its been a remarkable piece of equipment, and certainly earned its keep during its career on the NYS&W. What happens now is anyones guess, but the whisperings I've heard is that she may be done for good this time. Who knows..... the railroad could certainly use the horsepower, thats for sure, but with Walter no longer around, a more practical decision regarding its fate may be made in the future. stay tuned....
 #547604  by lvrr325

For the cost of replacing the prime mover and generator in this unit, they'll be able to buy an operating complete SD40-2 if not now then sooner or later. There are plenty of leasers available to purchase. I'm sure this unit is done.

But it could be made into a cab car easily enough, or gutted and turned into who knows what, rolling or static. There's a surprising amount of room in there, once you take out the internals and fill the thing with degreaser up to the fans and let it sit for a year or so to clean it out.
 #547677  by Steve F45

people may say im stupid or dumb for this. But I took initiative and actually emailed NYSW's media person about the engine. I figure whats the worse that can happen, they dont respond? All I asked if it was going to be repaired? if not what would it take for an organization like urhs or maywood station to aquire it.
 #547734  by Noel Weaver

Steve F45 wrote:people may say im stupid or dumb for this. But I took initiative and actually emailed NYSW's media person about the engine. I figure whats the worse that can happen, they dont respond? All I asked if it was going to be repaired? if not what would it take for an organization like urhs or maywood station to aquire it.
I trust you have a few thousand dollars to put up for this.
Noel Weaver
 #547882  by Steve F45

Noel, I didn't say i was wanting to acquire it. I had just asked what would it take for someone. If needed I will donate some of my money and try to start some sort of fundraiser to keep this engine from the scrap heep. It is a rare, great looking and has to much history with NJ to be torched. Some might say, "well it was with BN too" yea but NYSW has ties with NJ for what over 100 years?
 #547903  by cjvrr

I believe it was built in 1971 sold in 1987 to NYS&W, been with the NYS&W ever since.

16 years with BN

21 years with the NYS&W

Steve, I think you have a legitimate claim but.....

The GP18's have been with the NYS&W, my personal opinon would be to save one of those prior to the F45. But it also doesn't have to be a one or the other.

Chris
 #547908  by GOLDEN-ARM

A BN loco, needing thousands and thousands of dollars, to acquire, make compliant, move then maintain? LVRHS has been trying for years, to get $5,000.00 to move a loco donated to them, a distance of about 90 miles. It's not going well. There were (are?) original NYS&W locos that could be saved. I don't think that anyone REALLY has a good idea about what's involved to "save" a loco that hasn't been involved in doing it before. A loco that hasn't been proclaimed to be surplus, or scrap, even harder to imagine, folks "making plans" about it. There are lots of groups looking for a few hundred bucks, to make a difference with something they already have. Ask them, how hard it is, to collect funds.
 #548030  by scottychaos

GOLDEN-ARM wrote:A BN loco, needing thousands and thousands of dollars, to acquire, make compliant, move then maintain? LVRHS has been trying for years, to get $5,000.00 to move a loco donated to them, a distance of about 90 miles. It's not going well.
Just for the record, its the SHS, not the LVRRHS..different and unrelated groups.
but GA's points are valid..

I agree that one, two, or ideally all three of the GP18's are by far the most historic pieces of Susquehanna heritage in existance,
and if anything could be preserved, I would vote for them..
but still, the F45 has been a "museum piece" for decades..it just hasnt found an actul museum yet!

preservation can happen..it has happened before! ;)
but not everything can be saved..

Scot
 #548032  by Steve F45

Im not saying the GP18's aren't of more historic value. I truly believe that when the time comes for them to go out to pasture, that they will be donated and not scrapped. Thats just my beliefe. But the F45 woul dbe a nice addition aswell, but I know it will be more dificult to acquire. Only reason i sent that email also was the fact that if it's not going to be repaired then its not on the rails. The GP18's, well1 of them is in use. The others are stored serviceable.
 #548080  by washingtonsecondary

Given the current managment's attitude toward donating equipment, I have a feeling it will be a struggle to get anything donated, no matter how much history we feel is in this equipment.
 #548164  by Otto Vondrak

Steve F45 wrote:I had just asked what would it take for someone. If needed I will donate some of my money and try to start some sort of fundraiser to keep this engine from the scrap heap.
Don't wait for "someone," if you want to save a piece, start the initiative yourself. But as pointed out, there are already plenty of "fundraisers" going on that are in need of funding... sure you want to add one more?

-otto-
 #548258  by Jtgshu

How many F45's are left in existance?

I know of the SDF40 (whatever the Maersk unit is) that is saved, but thats not an F45, how many genuine F45s are at least left in existance?

Personally, I like the SD45 better, and at least there is at least one saved (hustle muscle), but they are fading fast as well - at least in their original form, with the V20, unfortunately......

I just remember when Sparta Mountain was reopened and the July 1987 (i think it was) Railfan and Railroad with the 6370 (I believe was its FIRST number with the NYSW right after repaint into NYSW colors) coming through the woods in the snow - I think that picture is one of the reasons why I am a railroader right now - "I want to do that" is what i said to myself when I saw it as a 9 year old, and it made the connection for me from my HO scale oval layout to 1:1 scale. Made the toys seem a little more "life like" (pun intended - hahahha)