Railroad Forums 

• Susquehanna Transfer question

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#499247  by BuddSilverliner269

Hello everyone. Ive been a long time follower of the NYSW and I always found interest in the Susquehanna transfer. I was just on google satellite and I was looking for it.Is there anything left of the station or platform? Where exactly is it? Is it under rt 495?The reason I ask is because in the picture I see it shows a curving elevated ramp next to the railroad and I see a curving ramp connecting Rt 495 to rt1. Also Im looking to maybe do alil train watching in North Jersey, preferable NYSW and was wondering what are good locations.Thanks for any help.

#499392  by Steve F45

i do believe it is under 495. I've wanted to see if i could check it out but its in the park and ride lot and you can't get in without paying.
 #499798  by henry6

Although often discussed here, check Carsten's and others' books on the Susquehanna for great pictures and descriptions.

#499842  by BuddSilverliner269

henry6 thanx for the response. I have all the Susie Q books out there that I can think of including a book done on the mid 80's introducing the new Susieq main line and pictures of it being rebuilt and how to chase alone the line. What Im asking is the Suskie Transfer Station. Is it still around or any remnants and how to get there. The question asked was not covered in previous post nor do I expect to find in history books when Im looking for present tense info about the station.Thanks
 #499845  by henry6

Then the best answer is that it was located direclty under the highway bridge...used to be S3 now 495(?). Pics from the books show what it looked like so that if there are any remnants you might be able to identify. Now it is all bus park and ride area I guess.

#499975  by njmidland

Back in 1990 a small platform was created at Susquehanna Transfer so that the NYS&WT&HS could originate an excursion there using a gate in the NJT North Bergen Park-N-Ride lot. There was a little bit of concrete curbing of the original platform left but otherwise everything else is pretty much gone. The site is just about where the base of a large billboard that towers up to be seen on Route 495. You can see it by looking through the fence of the Park-N-Ride (of course you have to pay to get in). There is also a stub of a street that at one time was how the buses got in to the Transfer. You can make a right turn onto this road if you are heading south on Route 1&9 - it is almost right under the viaduct.

#500099  by ricebrianrice

So what is/was Susquehanna Transfer?
 #500250  by henry6

ricebrianrice wrote:So what is/was Susquehanna Transfer?
It is..or was...station where the NYS&W passengers transferred to buses to the Port Authority Bus Terminal. The OLD NYS&W, not the one you know today.

#500302  by Noel Weaver

In the latter years of the NYS&W passenger service, all of their remaining
trains ran out of Susquehanna Transfer as the old Erie Station in Jersey
City had been shut down completely. The only way out there from New
York was on the connecting bus from the PABT. It was not a difficult
transfer.
Noel Weaver

#513813  by BlockLine_4111

If pax/light rail service on the "Q" was ever resurrected I'd like to see Susquehanna Transfer come back with both buses and a Secaucus Transfer like sttaion above for the NEC. That would be neat option, to go midtown by bus or NEC, and still have option to go downtown via Hoboken via boat or PATH.

#513817  by CarterB

Was Susquehanna Transfer in use before the Erie shut down the Pavonia Station for passenger operations? And/or did the Susie Q go all the way to Pavonia up till the closure of that station?

YES

#513823  by henry6

Yes. Susie Q operated the transfer at least since the opening of PABT, maybe as far back as the opening of the Lincoln Tunnel...gotta check the history books.

And yes, too, the Susie Q was the last user of Jersey City terminal as I believe the Erie had dumped the Northern RR trains by then.
 #513864  by BlockLine_4111

henry6 wrote:And yes, too, the Susie Q was the last user of Jersey City terminal as I believe the Erie had dumped the Northern RR trains by then.
Too bad the "Q" couldn't be reconfigured to run to Hoboken by EL/NJDOT.
maybe they'd still be alive and running today.

#513896  by njmidland

Was Susquehanna Transfer in use before the Erie shut down the Pavonia Station for passenger operations? And/or did the Susie Q go all the way to Pavonia up till the closure of that station?
Susquehanna Transfer started in 1939 and ended in 1966. Northern Branch trains continued to stop for a brief time after the NYS&W quit on June 30th until new timetables could be issued by the EL.
Too bad the "Q" couldn't be reconfigured to run to Hoboken by EL/NJDOT. maybe they'd still be alive and running today.
In the mid-70's there was an attempt to restore commuter service on the NYS&W. At that time the proposal was to run the trains down to Marion Jct. with service to Journal Square. In fact the PATH transportation center was designed for there to be platforms on the heavy rail tracks that run next to the PATH through Journal Square.