Railroad Forums 

• New GP40s for NYSW units in Kearny?

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#469173  by Steve F45

wouldn't say the end just yet. 1800/02 are up and running. But 3042 is dead, 2300 is dead, 2012 is dead. They are short on local power and have been using some of the road power to do switching. They were supposed to get a few gp38-2's from GATX but that fell through.

now are these gp40's beeing bought/leased?

#469208  by rcbsd45

I happened to deliver a train to Kearny tonight(Sunday 11/18), Q156-17. there was only the usual three yard engines assigned to the yard down by the yard office, the power i came in on (277 /4786) and a 2761 and a 600 series AC60 CW on the pit. if there are any engines for the NYSW, they werent in Kearny tonighht. once agian, when ya see it, THEN believe it.....

#469243  by Wanderer

Anything is possible, however there are a few major problems with this concept.

1. NS only has 71 GP40-2s, and 11 GP40-2 rebuilds on the roster. All are accounted for.
2. All the NS 1300 class units' statuses have not changed, with those still on the property all triaged for rebuild.
3. CSX has 3 straight GP40's on the roster, retired units on the property are being scrapped, and GP40-2's are being overhauled/downgraded. All accounted for.

That being, I doubt what you "heard" to be true. Also, I'm sure the NYSW fans would have had chatter of their own about the topic. Just another rumor most likely.

#469265  by northjerseybuff

sounds like maybe my sources were wrong. A few of my buddies on the nysw claim they're coming, this coupled with a phone call from a shared assets friend of mine..we shall see..

#469280  by rcbsd45

This doesnt mean your sources were necessiarily wrong.... Over the past couple of weeks I had heard this rumor of the railroad getting for axle power from CSX and/or NS that would allow retirement fo the GP 18's, and 20's. If the railroads have power to spare, you still may just see something head that way. Althought it is interesting to note that whenever the NYSW has borrowed power in the past, its generally been from CSX. Never say never.... and if business is slow and the power can be spared, then who knows what may happen. Stay Tuned.

#469289  by Steve F45

rcbsd45 wrote:This doesnt mean your sources were necessiarily wrong.... Over the past couple of weeks I had heard this rumor of the railroad getting for axle power from CSX and/or NS that would allow retirement fo the GP 18's, and 20's. If the railroads have power to spare, you still may just see something head that way. Althought it is interesting to note that whenever the NYSW has borrowed power in the past, its generally been from CSX. Never say never.... and if business is slow and the power can be spared, then who knows what may happen. Stay Tuned.
It is strange that NYSW always get the power from CSX and never NS. Wondery why. And for business beeing slow, maybe that is the reason they "might" be getting some road power. I completely forgot about the gp20's beeing down for the count.

So what is it, 1 gp18, 2 gp20s, 1 gp38-2, 1 gp40-2, and 1 uboat?

#469520  by SGLX1202

I was told that there were 2 NS high hood GP38s and one CSX GP40 in kearny that the Q is getting as "leased" or "loaned" to them. Have not had any visual confirmation of this but have also been told there will be about 6-10 total units.

#470099  by kingfish

Hmmm

CSXT 2624

CR/NS 5293, 5294, 5273

All GP38-2 sitting at Oak Island on Tuesday waiting to move somewhere...

#470338  by Wanderer

kingfish wrote:Hmmm

CSXT 2624

CR/NS 5293, 5294, 5273

There must be some life to this rumor. All four units are being listed as, "off system contract service". That wouldn't be if they were just in the CSAO pool.

#470359  by wolfboy8171981

Wanderer wrote:
kingfish wrote:Hmmm

CSXT 2624

CR/NS 5293, 5294, 5273

There must be some life to this rumor. All four units are being listed as, "off system contract service". That wouldn't be if they were just in the CSAO pool.
CSX 2624 " To Selkirk T0 CR to NYSW"

hi

#470622  by thebigham

kingish wrote this in the motive power thread:

The following are considered stored heavy bad order with no plans to make active:

1804-2062-2064-2012-3042-2300

#470682  by lvrr325

Is 2300 the U23B? I talked to someone who said Finger Lakes bought both of the other two NYS&W B23-7s in addition to the two ex-P&W units they'd already bought.