Railroad Forums 

• Franklin, NJ stack train derailment - 1987

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#467763  by NaDspr

Does anyone have the date of the Franklin, NJ stack train derailment? It wasn't too long after the stack trains started running between Binghamton and Little Ferry. I remember it damaged an overhead bridge in Franklin.
I would guess it was in 1986-87.

I'm looking to zero in on the date of the derailment.

Thanks for any help on this.

#467865  by RichM

I don't remember the date, but there was a lot of coverage of these first several of these mishaps in old issues of BLOCK LINE around that time, if anyone still has them.

#467898  by Sirsonic

According to the FRA there was only 1 reportable derailment in Franklin, NJ during 1986-87. It occurred at 1155pm on March 8, 1987. 4 cars derailed when the rail spread beneath the train at a reported speed of 23 mph. Damages totaled $425,000.

#468019  by Idiot Railfan

That derailment damaged the vehicular bridge on North Church Road/Route 631 and put it out of service for a couple months.

#468063  by NaDspr

Sirsonic wrote:According to the FRA there was only 1 reportable derailment in Franklin, NJ during 1986-87. It occurred at 1155pm on March 8, 1987. 4 cars derailed when the rail spread beneath the train at a reported speed of 23 mph. Damages totaled $425,000.
Thank you. That sounds like it!

#468294  by Noel Weaver

I thought it was early 1987 but I had trouble posting last night. It might
have been only four cars but they were platform cars with five platforms
each and double stacks too. It was a real mess and took some time to
get cleaned up.
I went out to have a look and ran into Walter Rich who was very upset
over this one. Walter accomplished a lot on the NYS&W but he went
through a lot in doing it.
The re-opening of this route to through trains was probably one of the
key events in the 1980's.
Noel Weaver

#473098  by BlockLine_4111

Which derailment involved loads of ATV's in which the fuel leaked and started a small fire?

#473426  by cjvrr

BlockLine_4111 wrote:Which derailment involved loads of ATV's in which the fuel leaked and started a small fire?
Its the same one
 #933376  by nfoulds

If anyone would like to see some nice pictures of this train derailment/wreck, I used to be a police officer and just posted them on my Facebook page "Nathan Foulds, Franklin, NJ"
 #1228501  by nfoulds

I have 42 pictures posted of this train derailment in my "photos" section of my Facebook page and they are in an album entitled "Train Wreck - March 8, 1987". I live in Franklin since 1986 and was at the wreck. I took dozens of pictures not available to the general public as I was also a police officer and had 'connections' to get into the scene beyond the barricades.
 #1228567  by charlie6017

nfoulds wrote:I have 42 pictures posted of this train derailment in my "photos" section of my Facebook page and they are in an album entitled "Train Wreck - March 8, 1987". I live in Franklin since 1986 and was at the wreck. I took dozens of pictures not available to the general public as I was also a police officer and had 'connections' to get into the scene beyond the barricades.
Hi NFoulds,

Is there a way you could please post a link to your Facebook page so that we can access it?

Thanks very much,

Charlie