Railroad Forums 

• DO's 0-6-0 #2

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#436802  by ricebrianrice

Does the Delaware & Otsego Corp still own the 0-6-0, sitting in Cooperstown?
Or did it get passed on to, or bought by an individual, or rail line like the CCAV.

My ultimate question is was there ever any talk of restoring this engine to operation? Now that Mr. Rich is gone, I doubt it will ever happen!

#437920  by NYSW3614

She's still located in Cooperstown, moved there in the late 80s or early 90s from storage in Milford. She and other equipment, owned by the NYS&W, sit on isolate track.

This engine is missing many, many parts and is a very tired engine. She could use a good cosmetic restoration.

The SD45

#465667  by NaDspr

I would have to say the # 2 moved from Milford to Cooperstown in the late 1980s. I worked as conductor on the train that made that move. I have the exact date on some slides I took of the move. Seems as if we used Rahway Valley #17 (a 70 tonner) to make this move. By the time we did this, there was no longer a run around track in Cooperstown so we ran around the engine in Milford and shoved it to Cooperstown.

I worked on about the last half dozen trains that ran on the CACV all the way into Cooperstown. If anyone is interested in the actual dates of the moves, I can dig them up. Just let me know.

#465676  by Cactus Jack

I thought that I had scanned some of my photos, but guess not. I was the "mechanical dept" that prepped the locomotive for movement.

So "Mr. Conductor" just when was that ? I remember going up on top of the feed mill tower and shooting you gong north.

Wasn't Claussen Soule working with you that day ?

#465680  by NaDspr

Yes, Clausen Soule was the engineer that day.

#516029  by lvrr325

Walter's hardly been in the ground that long and is probably already turning over in his grave.
 #604472  by NaDspr

In October, I made a slide presentation to the Central New York NRHS chapter about my days working for the NYS&W from 1985-1992. While putting the program together, I found my slides (that fortunately I labeled) of the move of C&CV #2 from Milford to Cooperstown. The date was April 17, 1989. The "2 spot" has been in the same resting place since I pulled the pin on it that day and the Rahway Valley 70-tonner # 17 cut away from it for the last time.

Also located in the slide presentation were pictures of the very last train to depart the Cooperstown station, where the DO is headquartered. That train consisted of engine NYS&W 1800 and 3 passenger cars that were in Cooperstown for the Baseball Hall of Fame week. The date of the last train to depart Cooperstown station bound for Cooperstown Junction was July 25, 1989.