Railroad Forums 

• Motive Power update

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#1273925  by bk77

From what I've heard SD70's are actually pretty trashed and the cost of repairs actually exceed what they are actually worth (I believe I was told one is in need of a new main gen.) They were pretty much ran into the ground their whole lives and I don't believe ever received a major overhaul.
 #1274735  by scottychaos

Susquehanna F45 survivor update!
It appears that NYSW 3638, aka MRL 390, the ex-NYSW F45 that has been with Montana Rail Link since 1993 has been saved! :)
although it is not yet known by who, or what the plans for preservation are:

http://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.ph ... 4&start=30" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.facebook.com/dynarail" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sister unit MRL 392 is being scrapped..She did serve with NYSW for a time in the late 80's! but as a leased unit.
the fate of the other NYSW F45, No. 3636 in Utica, is still uncertain.

thanks,
Scot
 #1276188  by ANDY117

3010 and 3618 have been removed from the dead line at BD, but I'm not sure where they went. The 3 GP20s are still sitting behind Whitney Ave behind the trees, and are barely visible from the highway.
 #1281320  by O-6-O

Just two days ago I saw the 3636 between the 3040 (highhood) gp 40 and another GP (number I can't remember ,black paint) on the lead east out in Utica......like they were getting ready to

head east.
 #1281641  by bk77

scottychaos wrote: Sister unit MRL 392 is being scrapped..She did serve with NYSW for a time in the late 80's! but as a leased unit.
the fate of the other NYSW F45, No. 3636 in Utica, is still uncertain.
Dynarail posted on 7/2 on their FB page that they had inquired about the 3636. Unfortunately, the cost of shipping it coast to coast, and its poor condition (MANY parts missing) just didn't make it worth the $$$ and is set to be scrapped in July. A darn shame as I always loved the F45's and their beastly yet classic look. Luckily as you posted, the old NYSW 3638 does have a future.... which interestingly has still been hush-hush as to who/where its going (at least I haven't been able to find any info other than its been saved by a private party).
 #1282876  by thebigham

ANDY117 wrote:Per some posts on the Yahoo groups, the 3 GP20s have been sold for scrap in Binghamton. Get your pictures now!
They were being scrapped this week in Bingo.
 #1284345  by riffian

Any updates on the stored, out of service units? Reported on this thread on May 15 that the 3 units at Utica (3020, 3042 and 3636) had been "moved to Water Street for scrapping", but nothing since. No word either on the three units (3010, 3618 and 3634) stored in Binghamton. Any information on the location and/or disposition of these units would be greatly appreciated.
 #1285017  by ANDY117

The SD70Ms are by the shops are in Binghamton right now. The other units (3010, 3618, 3634) are around the shops as well. There's nothing left of the GP20s that I could see form the highway.

The SD70Ms are not renumbered as of last night when I drove by.
 #1291033  by thebigham

From Facebook:

the SD70Ms have officially left the property and are on 30T for Enola
 #1292469  by thebigham

From Facebook:

"Per the yahoo groups
Hope you got your photos of the three Musketeers in the dead line at Utica.

As of this morning 3042 is being cut up in place... Probably 3636 next and finally 3020.

Thank you,
Keith"