Railroad Forums 

• Garbage/Debris Traffic

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#421977  by SecaucusJunction

Ive seen the last two SU99's out of NJ and they havent had much of the C&D traffic at all. Have these facilities still not reopened after they were shut down? If they have not, will they ever reopen or will the NYSW be out of luck for good....

#422039  by ANDY117

Cardella is supposed to reopen soon, if it hasn't yet. As for the others, I'm not sure. I'll ask.

#422052  by washingtonsecondary

The NYS&W is never out of luck. One way or another it always survives.

#422241  by Steve F45

The c&d facilities were shut down i believe before memorial day for not having fire sprinklers installed. I think they got to keep 1 open till the others were fixed in accordance with the law. The one by paterson plank road is the only one i've seen open since beginning of june. The one on 83rd looks like plumbers are almost done, lots of work beeing done there. I have no idea where the other is in north bergen.

#488200  by RichM

I've been up in the Binghamton area several times in the past 4-5 weeks. I noticed a large number of C&D cars still stored on the Utica side above Chenango Forks, and another large number at the siding along Route 17 at Deposit.

Just wondering... is this traffic down due to the winter, a construction slowdown, or the transfer facilities not reopening in Hudson County?

Any ideas?

#488209  by blockline4180

RichM wrote:I've been up in the Binghamton area several times in the past 4-5 weeks. I noticed a large number of C&D cars still stored on the Utica side above Chenango Forks, and another large number at the siding along Route 17 at Deposit.

Just wondering... is this traffic down due to the winter, a construction slowdown, or the transfer facilities not reopening in Hudson County?

Any ideas?

Probably many reasons! No one is building anything(like you said " a construction slowdown") and the economy is at the brink of taking a nose dive. Also, the winter is known to produce less rail traffic then in the spring or summer months.

There could be other factors, but i'd say the ones I already mentioned are the primary causes.

#488213  by wolfboy8171981

blockline4180 wrote:
RichM wrote:I've been up in the Binghamton area several times in the past 4-5 weeks. I noticed a large number of C&D cars still stored on the Utica side above Chenango Forks, and another large number at the siding along Route 17 at Deposit.

Any ideas?

Probably many reasons! No one is building anything(like you said " a construction slowdown") and the economy is at the brink of taking a nose dive. Also, the winter is known to produce less rail traffic then in the spring or summer months.

There could be other factors, but i'd say the ones I already mentioned are the primary causes.
Dont forget that the NYSW owns those cars, so when the cars are empty there billed back to the NYSW. If there is less demand for the cars they have to go somewhere.

#488221  by RichM

The ownership/storage issues I understand, I'm just curious about the C&D business being down in general, or has it shifted to other transfill sites or moving on trailers rather than rail?

I'll buy into the season, and the economy, but it appears that office space in Manhattan and in the surrounding area is still pretty strong.

Like I said, just curious. Anyone know whether the transfill sites are in sprinkler compliance?

#489073  by riffian

Other than the former Bangor and Aroostook chip hoppers (total number?), all cars in Suskie C&D traffic that I am aware of are leased private car ownership, or NS chip cars. What other C&D cars are owned by the Suskie??

#489089  by cjvrr

I thought all the cars were owned by the C&D haulers and used NYS&W reporting marks. Even the BAR cars were privately owned AFAIK.

#489129  by riffian

No, the former BAR cars sport NYS&W reporting marks. They were retrucked at Utica to increase their capacity. All other cars I've seen have been some form of leasing company, usually Southern Leasing, or Trinity Leasing with their various reporting marks. Some very interesting cars, including former Western Pacific and Southern Pacific chip cars, and boxcars with their doors welded shut and roofs removed to make a quick high capacity hopper car.
 #596281  by Sir Ray

I guess this is a good-enough zombie thread to post this news about the NYS&W debris transfer stations:
The Jersey Journal wrote:NORTH BERGEN - A legal settlement over five solid waste transfer stations means a breath of fresh air for local residents.
After a four-year legal fight - and decades of unregulated garbage storing - the New York Susquehanna & Western Railway and operators of the waste transfer stations alongside a two-mile stretch of railroad in North Bergen have agreed to follow state and local environmental and health regulations governing solid waste, settling a legal dispute with the New Jersey Meadowlands Commission.
Since the article is short, I won't quote more - alas, I don't know how long this link will remain active.
One other note was NYS&W will refund $1m to the town of North Bergen for overcharging them on a sewer pipe easement.
 #596505  by RichM

Always nice that our legislators have no problems passing ex-post-facto regulations.

Anyway, at least we have eventual resumption of operations, and the settlements must have been accrued for by the railroad as everyone seems to be walking away OK.
 #596745  by Steve F45

resumption? almost all the facilities are open if not all. 89th street is open but seems to be fading out since it was one of the ones supposedly to close as part of some agreement. the old transload facility with the old railcars was torn down and expanded big time. atleast 3x the size it was with all upto date equipment and such. The large c&d facility looks like its still not finished just north of Paterson plank road, the paterson plank road one seems to be the busiest of them all. they seem to be even recycling too, pulling metals and such and sorting them.