Railroad Forums 

• Utica Branch Discussion Thread

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#1407805  by milkman

Thanks for the video ut-1.
The crew was working on the railroad crossing at Woods Corners this morning.It appears that they are working on the signals now.Repairing and activating the signals was supposed to be one of the last things to do in the restoration of the line,so this may be a sign that it is almost complete!
 #1408019  by johnpbarlow

Steve F45 wrote:So is this line pretty much opened back up and could in theory see trains from bingo to utica? Will the signals at CP-FORKS be relit?
Assuming rebuilt track is now good to go, NYSW will have to generate some traffic for the line as I'm not sure what unmet customer need the rebuilt Utica branch will serve. I didn't think loss of the branch resulted in any lost shippers in the area of the washout. I guess Utica area customers will have access to freight interchanged to/from NS at Binghamton.
 #1408402  by lackman

GREAT VIDEO. Just the right speed.

1. Would like to see if there is one from the Utica Yard up to Sangerfield. Any one know if one exists like this one?

2. Can this video be shown at the ERIE LACKAWANNA CONVENTION in 2017? Is it copyrighted? Or is it in the public domain/

Thanks.
lackman
 #1413020  by milkman

All the railroad ties are gone and there is no equipment parked at Woods Corners, looks like they are done for the year.
I did notice that they replaced a gate at the crossing on Rt 12 in North Norwich.
 #1413766  by milkman

Heard this on the radio (WCDO 101) on the way home tonight.
The Chenango Industrial Development Agency announced Frontier Railroad Services, completed construction on the Utica mainline project this month, which means that the rail line between Binghamton and Utica is largely restored and close to a return to service. IDA President Steve Craig explains:

(Steve Craig 12-22-16)

Frontier Railroad Service’s work included bridge re-decking, washout repairs, culvert replacements, and a large number of tie replacements.
 #1414832  by JoeCollege

My understanding from talking to a local politician who spoke to someone at the IDA level is that the line is complete and ready for service. But:

1.) There remain no customers between Chenango Forks and Waterville.
2.) The railroad does not have any desire to utilize the line to access Waterville or Utica, preferring the current arrangement with CSX to access the Utica branch via Syracuse and transit from Dewitt to Utica.
3.) The powers that be in Cooperstown have nothing but disdain for this line and no interest in operating it to the point that they have refused any discussion of obtaining customers in Chenango county.
 #1414855  by ricky

glad to hear the line is just about completed like the video from sheburne to north Norwich I wish their was video from north Norwich to the Chenango= broome county line.
 #1414863  by ricky

JoeCollege wrote:My understanding from talking to a local politician who spoke to someone at the IDA level is that the line is complete and ready for service. But:

1.) There remain no customers between Chenango Forks and Waterville.
2.) The railroad does not have any desire to utilize the line to access Waterville or Utica, preferring the current arrangement with CSX to access the Utica branch via Syracuse and transit from Dewitt to Utica.
3.) The powers that be in Cooperstown have nothing but disdain for this line and no interest in operating it to the point that they have refused any discussion of obtaining customers in Chenango county.
if that the case why nysw did not filed papers for abandoned this line.can someone answer that.