Railroad Forums 

• NYSW train symbols

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#189803  by ANDY117

What do the SU, BH, SY, and UT stand for in a train? Like, a SU-100, or a BH-3, or a SY-X. Does anyone understand any of this mumbo jumbo?
 #189815  by washingtonsecondary

ANDY117 wrote:What do the SU, BH, SY, and UT stand for in a train? Like, a SU-100, or a BH-3, or a SY-X. Does anyone understand any of this mumbo jumbo?
SY= Syracuse Branch Local
BH= Binghamton Local
UT= Utica Branch Local

X is an extra, usually the locals go SY-1, 2, 3, 4 some go up to 4 or 5 and anything past that is an extra.

Don't know what SU stands for.
 #189818  by n01jd1

washingtonsecondary wrote:
ANDY117 wrote:What do the SU, BH, SY, and UT stand for in a train? Like, a SU-100, or a BH-3, or a SY-X. Does anyone understand any of this mumbo jumbo?
SY= Syracuse Branch Local
BH= Binghamton Local
UT= Utica Branch Local

X is an extra, usually the locals go SY-1, 2, 3, 4 some go up to 4 or 5 and anything past that is an extra.

Don't know what SU stands for.
I dont know what the SU stands for either but thats what they use for road trains. NYSW uses WS for its southern division locals.

#189912  by RSD15

i believe the SU in SU99/100 is simply Susquehanna 99/100 abbreviated.
charles

#189964  by cjvrr

The "SU" designation did come from the Susquehanna trains that ran on trackage rights over Conrail. It was a Conrail designation that has stuck around for over 20 years now.

#190035  by Lackawanna484

cjvrr wrote:The "SU" designation did come from the Susquehanna trains that ran on trackage rights over Conrail. It was a Conrail designation that has stuck around for over 20 years now.
The designation outlasted Conrail, in fact.

WS is the prefix for trains originating in Little Ferry, and, I think, in Butler.

Usuals are WS-1 through 4, and WSPX for passenger extra trains. The dispatchers will call a movement by its symbol, or rarely by its engine number (4004, call me on the radio). They use both when they write a train order.

Was WS the telegraph station for the old Little Ferry engine terminal? it sounds like it should be West Shore

#190104  by ANDY117

How often do the 99 1nd 100 run? Every 2 days?
 #1423166  by roc

Is the grain/feed mill in Chohecton serviced by a local or by one of the SU road freights?
 #1431521  by waldwickrailfan

roc wrote:Is the grain/feed mill in Chohecton serviced by a local or by one of the SU road freights?
The SU100 works Cochecton and Narrowsburg on the Tier