Railroad Forums 

• Where is mp 28.8?

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#1490674  by CPSK

Hi;
I've been hearing the defect detector on the NYS&W at mp 28.8 for a few months now (or maybe it's longer but I wasn't listening).
If Little Ferry is at about mp 5 (like CSX CP5), then I would guestimate 28.8 to be somewhere past Oakland. But when the detector reports the temperature, it is usually significantly lower than the air temp at Teterboro airport where I get my reading on noaa.gov.
The signal from this detector is quite strong from my location, which is in Teaneck. I have a 2m vertical antenna up about 40ft that I use with my VX-150 radio for monitoring railroads.

CP
 #1490678  by CPSK

I just did a trace of the line on Google Earth. If mp 0.0 is at the switch to CR just north of CP Croxton (or W. Croxton, whatever), then mp 28.5 would be at Pompton Lakes, just east of Pompton Jct.
 #1490896  by ClearlyDiverging

You are a little off, but only by a little bit. Milepost 28 is just west of Wyckoff station. So 28.8 is another little bit west. PJ is in the mid 30's in terms of mile posts.
 #1490929  by mackdave

28.8 is the Old Mill Road crossing in Franklin Lakes, at the summit of the grade.

mackdave
 #1491242  by CPSK

Thanks guys.
If only I could hear the trains as well as the detectors... ha.