Railroad Forums 

• Mishap at Union Station, Utica, NY

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#1340238  by brockwaythemusician

There are usually a covered hopper or two on the siding under the bridge from the arterial ramp to Burrstone Road. I remember seeing a single car under that bridge on the way home yesterday and figured it was that one when I saw the news today. The brewery siding has a slight decline off Schuyler Street and I figure it would be hard to just roll away from there. Are they sure it wasn't the lone car under the bridge?
 #1340252  by ut-1

It rolled approx 2.5 miles, from the siding just past the old Scheidelman's Warehouse. Edit: The hopper was positioned just south of the Burrstone Rd overpass.

Here is a picture showing three railroad employees clustered about the derail just north of where the covered hopper broke free.

Edit: Pic taken last night.
Attachments:
Osprey & NYS&W Runaway July 21 029.JPG
Osprey & NYS&W Runaway July 21 029.JPG (264.16 KiB) Viewed 8168 times
Last edited by ut-1 on Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
 #1340312  by sd80mac

Benjamin Maggi wrote:So did it completely roll through the NYS&W yard west of Utica station without anyone noticing it moving?
In other group, it was mentioned that it was placed in storage track along Canal St. I'm not sure where's that in Utica..
 #1340356  by tree68

n2xjk wrote:The hopper was loaded, rolled down a 2% grade, reached about 40 mph. Not much time to react once it entered the yards.
"What was that?"

"I dunno, but it was fast!"

Given the territory it covered (including 4 lane Oriskany Blvd and street running on Schuyler St), it's a wonder there wasn't more havoc.