Railroad Forums 

• Derailment this morning in Marathon NY

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#1333356  by lvrr325

WSYR Radio says 9 cars on the ground, mostly empties, near the Borden Milk plant. Not sure where that is exactly. Boxcar went off first and the rest piled up.
 #1333383  by Snowmojoe

Happened right near Main St. Marathon Boat Group is just south of the site of the derailment, I think. There's a new story up on WBNG's Web site now; details still pretty sparse. It says 8 of a possible 100 cars came off the rails, so I guess maybe this was the SU 100 for today? That could have been a real mess.
 #1333396  by charlie6017

Thanks for posting the links to the photos.......find it amazing nothing else adjacent to the
tracks was damaged like buildings and crossing-protection or anything else. Best of all, nobody
was hurt!

Charlie
 #1333416  by Snowmojoe

In the comments below the facebook story where I first saw this, someone says that this kind of derailment "happens every day" and is "pretty minor." Obviously, it's no Lac Megantic, and I'm certainly not trying to make it anymore dramatic than it is. But that sure as hell doesn't seem like something that happens every day. I've never worked for a railroad, so I'll leave it to the railroad men to tell me how it is on that.
 #1333586  by umtrr-author

With respect to this link:
http://bit.ly/1JXL64P" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I find a certain irony in that there is a "Derail" sign in Photo 5 of the 11 posted with the story.

I also sincerely doubt that this level of derailment occurs every day in yards.