Railroad Forums 

• NYSW #18??

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#1322317  by Snowmojoe

I stumbled across this photo on http://www.rrpicturearchives.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; last week on a slow day at work while searching for something else. Was there actually an NYSW #18? (The pic certainly suggests there was...) I haven't found any other reference to it online. It's not on the online NYSW diesel roster. It hasn't been exactly an exhaustive search, to be sure, but if you google "NYSW 18", not even this image comes up in the results?
 #1322376  by Heidelbergbreaker

I scanned through the Susquehanna book by Krause and Crist and couldn't find a #18. The closest to that were the # 150 and #151 that were used to shift the cars around the docks at the Edgewater.
These two units were built in 1942 for the Army and sold to the Susquehanna in 1946. One was sold in 1960 to Old Dominion Iron and Steel at Richmond but the book says the other is a mystery.
It looks like the #18 may be another mystery.
 #1322379  by Marty Feldner

I'd have to do some digging, but wasn't that part of the MCC operation at Newfoundland? Seems I remember it stationed at Stockholm (Rt. 515 and NJ 23) to assist in the run-around. This would have been in the early 70's.
 #1322393  by Snowmojoe

Searching the web for this turned up nothing. And yet here's an entire page. And I even searched the forums for NYSW 18 as well, and saw nothing.
 #1322405  by Marty Feldner

Found it; as MCC 18, at Stockholm, July 1975. My photo.

0543a01.JPG
0543a01.JPG (453.61 KiB) Viewed 9667 times
 #1322413  by RichM

Was this engine on the Drew Chemical property in Boonton in the sixties, or was there another small locomotive in the Newfoundland collection that performed that service? I vaguely recall someone asking me about sponsoring some restoration cost on a locomotive with that history.
 #1323690  by Snowmojoe

Should #18 be represented on the "all-time roster" then?
 #1350383  by steamjunkie

#18 actually belongs to the New York Susquehanna and Western Technical and Historical Society and is now located in New Jersey with #142.