Railroad Forums 

• NYSW serviced Nepera on CR back in the 1980s?

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#1307978  by DogBert

I stumbled across this photo online and was a little confused:
http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPictur ... id=4051249" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nepera Chemical was in Harriman, which was CR territory back then. I always assumed the trackage rights deal NYSW had with CR prohibited them from servicing customers along CR's tracks... true? or did NYSW serve customers like Nepera regularly?

There's a few photos on rrpicturearchives of CR switching the same customer.

I've been doing a bit of research on Nepera recently, so any stories / info on how and when it was switched would be appreciated.
 #1308044  by cjvrr

This was NOT a regular occurrence. My father and I chased those trains quite often and the NYS&W didn't have anything other than haulage and later trackage rights on that line.

My guess is something happened that restricted Conrail from getting to service this and NYS&W subbed.
 #1308571  by riffian

Did the Susquehanna ever go that way? Nepara Chemical was in Harriman and NYS&W trains (to my knowledge) always ran from Campbell Hall down through Warwick to regain home trackage, just like they do today.
 #1309186  by DogBert

cjvrr wrote:This was NOT a regular occurrence. My father and I chased those trains quite often and the NYS&W didn't have anything other than haulage and later trackage rights on that line.

My guess is something happened that restricted Conrail from getting to service this and NYS&W subbed.
I suspected something like that. There's a few more photos of that train by that photog that day with captions explaining it was a surprise to him too.

I don't think NYSW ran on that route for long, maybe one or two years tops?
 #1321678  by oibu

Just to clarify- at that point NYSW was moving traffic via HAULAGE rights on CR, they did not have TRACKAGE rights until the Sparta Mtn route was rebuilt (there is a long backstory to the CR/NYS&W legal arrangement and various clauses which ultimately allowed NYS&W to become what it did). As such, CR was moving trains for NYS&W using CR crews between PAssaic JCt. and Binghamton (or reverse). So, long story short, depending on crew availability/what was moving when/power availability/delayed hot cars for a customer/etc., CR might combine an NYS&W train with one of it's own, or use it to move some of it's own traffic or perform it's own work along the way. Hence, "NYS&W power on NYS&W haulage train wih CR crew switches CR customer". Not a "routine" occurrence, but it happened.