Railroad Forums 

• NYSW Fall Excursion

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#1293146  by CentralValleyRail

I was driving in the Hawthorne area I believe and I saw a sign that said fall train excursions and listed a phone number.

Unfortunately I cannot remember where I saw the sign and I couldn't find anything online about it.

I know that they advertise for the Delaware River Steam Excursion on the 208 Overpass but this had a 973 area code listed as the contact number for tickets, which led me to think that maybe it wasn't a Del. Water Gap Excursion.

Does anyone know anything about this?
 #1293188  by Steve F45

its still for the delaware river rides with the steam engine. If they were holding an excursion here in north jersey, trust me it would be talked about non stop and would probably sell out. i'de buy tickets if it happened.
 #1295174  by CentralValleyRail

Steve F45 wrote:its still for the delaware river rides with the steam engine. If they were holding an excursion here in north jersey, trust me it would be talked about non stop and would probably sell out. i'de buy tickets if it happened.
Thanks I appreciate the response.

Too bad they don't I'm sure it would be a hit. My guess is insurance cost is too high like most trips these days.

I rode a fall foliage trip once back around 2000. Started at North Bergen Park and Ride if i remember right, made a stop in Pompton Lakes and continued onto Warwick where folks could explore the farm.

On the way back I got to ride in the private rear car, car closest to the steam engine and when the train went through Bogota the steam engine uncoupled there as we continued on to North Bergen.
 #1295679  by Snowmojoe

Kinda begs the question, if it would be so popular and would sell out, why *don't* they do it?
 #1295814  by ladder2

After the former owner of the NYSW , Walter Rich passed away, the remaining major stockholders of the railroad,CSX and NS,
had no interest in continuing the Fall trips to Warwick coupled with the fact that insurance coverage for such trips went thru the roof in the early 2000 time frame. It was because of these conditions that the Volunteer Society was forced to vacate the home rails and relocate in the Phillipsburg area. Thus no more trips out of Hawthorne.
 #1420177  by rwk

What a crying shame that the big boys had no interest in the steam excursions after Walter Rich passed. I rode from North Bergen to Baird's Farm in Oct 2000. But, a few years later the 142 moved to Phillipsburg which is closer to me, I live near Allentown, PA. I rode the Pburg rides a few times. Ironic that NS allowed steam excursions again, and still is with the 611. I rode behind 765 from Bethlehem to Pittston in Aug 2015. Nice riding behind steam through Allentown. I also rode behind 765 to Horseshoe Curve in May 2013, and 611 from Manassas, VA June 2016.