Railroad Forums 

• The Quiet Guy and the Loud Guy

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#1264039  by Snowmojoe

It seems that the NYS&W has been a little busier than usual over the last few days, especially at night or early in the morning, and that made me think of something I've been meaning to ask about.

How many engineers work for the Susquehanna? Having a house quite near the tracks, I've noticed that there has to be at least two: The Quiet Guy and the Loud Guy.

The Quiet Guy - when he goes by at night - I feel like you can tell he's trying to do it as quietly as he can. Instead of "leaning on it" as he approaches crossings, you get a couple, maybe three short "toots". The Loud Guy doesn't seem to be nearly as concerned. The Loud Guy was on whatever train went by my house early Sunday morning, and he was in rare form. Multiple long bursts.

I'm not saying this to be critical or anything; I think it's funny. I've lived near the tracks long enough that passing trains rarely wake me up now. And it's entirely possible that this is nothing more than a product of my own mind. But when The Quiet Guy goes by at night, and I do actually hear it, I'll think to myself something like, "Sweet, we got the Quiet Guy tonight." Maybe it's always the same guy and it's just a function of the kind of day he's having. (I've even noticed on earlier WS locals that go by as early as 10 pm.)

You have less of a choice about waking up when the Loud Guy is at the helm. Especially now that the weather is warmer and maybe a window or two is open at night.

Is this something that the crews are actually cognizant of, or am I just nuts?
 #1264111  by mainetrain

Probably just the detour trains, it will be over soon.
That said, I know guys who live on the River line and they can tell who is on the horn
 #1264203  by Steve F45

i also think it depends on the engine aswell. I may be wrong, so correct if me if needed. But the SD60's and alot of hte older widecab GE's on these detour trains have electric buttons for the horns so i dont think they can feather them like they can with the actual horn valve on a regular control stand in the sd40's and leased 4 axles.. With the button i think its just off and full blast.