Railroad Forums 

• NYS&W SD40s & SD40Ts

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#1262689  by Snowmojoe

Do all the NYS&W SD40 variants have squared off long hood ends like 3014 does in the attached picture _IGP2071?

There has been an unfamiliar yellowjacket operating around here, and I have not been able to get an ID on it - seen it twice, couldn't get a road # either time. The only thing I can say is that it definitely has an angled long hood end, like the one seen on 2062 in the other picture attached. It also doesn't seem to have the longer short hood that the SD40s have, and the horn sounds unfamiliar.

If one of the SD40s has an angled long hood, it's probably one of those, b/c I see them all the time; but what are the odds that 3040 is working down in the Ridgefield area now? 3040 has an angled long hood end.
 #1262711  by nysw136

The tunnel motor SD40T-2's 3010-3016 have squared off ends due to the different radiator arrangement. Standard SD40 variants have the angled long hood end. The 3040 is in captive service on the Utica branch since the flood damage on the Utica Main 8 years ago so you will probably not see it in NJ for a long time.

Kevin M.
 #1262726  by Snowmojoe

I thought as much about the 3040; I didn't think it could have made it down here. I guess 3022 is a very likely candidate if it has the angled long hood. Aside from the SD-60s that's the most common yellowjacket I see go by here. This thing just didn't look right for an SD40 but I'm hardly an expert.
 #1262897  by Snowmojoe

It was 3022. I saw it down in Ridgefield this afternoon while on lunch from work (it does have the angled long hood end) and it just went by my house again about 30 minutes ago with 4 or 5 cars. I still say the horn sounded different - even compared to what I just heard.