Railroad Forums 

• Susquehanna/Erie diesels together - where would this happen?

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#1259954  by Snowmojoe

Saw this picture online a couple days ago. The caption says it was taken in Oct. 1991 in Cortland, NY, about halfway between Binghamton and Syracuse. It looks to me like NYS&W 3000 and an Erie Lackawanna F(X)-B unit of some kind. Kind of a weird lash-up. Where would this have happened, particularly in 1991? Even if the picture was taken much earlier, it's still a strange pair. Is this a historic railroad somewhere?

Another question is, underneath the NYSW/road #/C-430 on the side of the cab appears to be the name "John Treen" in yellow letters. Never seen a name there before. What is that? Engineer's name? A name for the locomotive itself? Maybe a tribute to someone?
 #1259988  by charlie6017

John Treen was a former conductor/trainman for NYS&W for many years and is now deceased. He was
well-respected in the railroad community. Below is a link that leads in to further discussion about Mr. Treen.

http://www.railroad.net/forums/search.p ... John+Treen" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Charlie
 #1260083  by Alek9997

That Lackawanna-painted E8 unit behind the #3000 was an excursion locomotive. It was owned by I think the NRHS(?) along with another just like it. They ran many excursions on the Syracuse and Utica Branches back in the late 1980's and 1990's. They were not actual original DL&W E units but I believe ex-PRR (?) units...They sat at the NYS Fairgrounds in Syracuse for many years before going to the Saratoga & North Creek Railroad near Albany last year.

They were numbered #807 and #808. The real DL&W E8's started at #810.

Alek S
 #1261584  by lvrr325

The Central New York Chapter, NRHS until last year owned two ex-PRR E8s - one via NJT, one via MBTA - which they painted as "Lackawanna" 808 and 807. They were used in excursion service on the NYS&W and Finger Lakes, plus trips on Conrail to Massena and GVT to Lyons Falls, until around 2005 or so, when the brakes needed inspection. They've since been sold to Iowa Pacific and are on the Saratoga & North Creek.

Either the units were used for a fall foliage excursion, or the unit is 807 returning from some work and modifications at Rome Locomotive Works, which was a short lived outfit in Rome that rebuilt primarily NYS&W units. It had PRR lift rings on the nose which were removed to give the engine a more correct DL&W appearance. TheMan or other users could fill in the exact details; I'm not sure you could get from Syracuse to Cortland easily in 1991 - the track was there, but Conrail and NYS&W did not interchange in Jamesville.

FWIW, NYS&W's C430s were purchased secondhand in 1983 after their leases expired; prior to this they had been NYC/PC/Conrail units. No real E-L F-unit or E-unit lasted long enough to have been coupled to a NYS&W-painted C430 except for former Erie 833, which by that point was in Conrail paint.
 #1277327  by Tadman

Did Iowa Pacific repaint these E's into the IC orange/chocolate? I've only seen ex-CNW units (easily identified from CNW's practice of plating over the nose number boards, now a decal that looks like a lit number board). These DLW-looking E's were so attractive.