Railroad Forums 

• Norfolk Southern #5291 on the NYSW

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#1218004  by Snowmojoe

I was down in the Ridgefield Park area the other day for something for work, so when I was done I drove by the yards to see what I could see. Among the sights was Norfolk Southern 5291. Along with 5294 (which I also saw) I used to see 5291 regularly working up by my house. But I haven't seen it in a long time. Is there something wrong with 5291, or is it just simply operating in other locations now? I was actually quite surprised to see it, it had been so long.

On the way home, I was passing through Saddle Brook and happened to be sitting in traffic on N. Midland Ave right near where the NYS&W main crosses Midland, and I caught a shot of NS #5616 working the yards on the west side of the road. I had never seen #5616 on the Susquehanna before, which isn't necessarily surprising, but it does make me curious just how many Norfolk Southern GP-38s are leased to the Susquehanna right now?
 #1218005  by mackdave

That's not a Susquehanna Job switching the brickyard, it's NS out of Suffern. Going south on Midland Ave. in Saddle Brook is one of the few places you can cross three RR's in less than 1/4 mile. NS, NYS&W, & NJT.
 #1218021  by Snowmojoe

Well, I guess that's why I had never seen 5616 on the NYS&W...
 #1218255  by brianc02

Up until the 1999 merger Conrail delivered to the NYSW via this track. Here is an unpatched Conrail unit at that same location. I believe after the merger all traffic was exchanged at the southern terminus of the Souther Division.

Brian