Railroad Forums 

Forum for the discussion of the Budd Company and Budd-Thyssen through bankruptcy. Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budd_Company

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#1191253  by walterconklin

Hello,

My friend and colleague Rick Franzosa is interested in building for the Microsoft Train Simulator platform a set of models of Susquehanna passenger cars. I am referring in particular to the Budd commuter coaches that the Susquehanna purchased new in 1951 that had windows and did not have air conditioning. Does anyone have images of these "unique cars" in the words of Rick that you would be willing to share with him and me and/or know where we can find images of these cars?

Thank you in advance of your help.

Sincerely,
Walter Conklin
 #1224857  by Scaro

Hi Walter

There is a decent side pic of the Budds in the Krause & Crist book and I think a top shot of the cars being delivered. At least as I recall.

I'm after a good plan or diagram too, if you manage to turn one up.

Cheers

Ben
 #1284410  by jhdeasy

There is a black and white photo of one of these cars (NYS&W 58) printed on page 193 of "From Zephyr to Amtrak" by W. David Randall and Alan R. Lind, published in 1972 by Prototype Publications, Park Forest, IL. Library of Congress catalog card number 72-80321.

I did not know these cars lacked air conditioning. However, there is no air conditioning equipment (compressor and condenser) visible under the floor of the car.

In the photo, all of the windows are closed, and one can not readily tell that the windows open.

The trucks look like the simplest version of the trucks used with Budd RDC trucks.
 #1284493  by riffian

There is a good, clear color photo of two of the Budds on page 123 of "the Susquehanna in Color" book. After their 10 year career on the Suskie, they were sold to the government of Saudi Arabia in 1961, presumably with air conditioning added. Many years ago a Trains magazine issue had a photo of the cars in service in Saudi Arabia.