Railroad Forums 

• how many of you have seen a heritage unit in person

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
 #1072764  by atsf sp

Why shouldnt they keep them in the coal fields? If you are a company that paid over 2.3 million dollars per unit you use that unit for its intended purpose. They will put on showcases like they did with the old GP59 heritage and like they have been doing but these engines were built to haul and you dont waste 4400/4350 HP on high viasibility trains that they are not suited for. NKP 8100 is not in the coal right now, it is excursioning with a Berk. The program is a sucess. Their image is insanely publicized now. NS did good, dont complain, this paint was not necessary, the steam was not necessary, but it was done.
 #1072768  by waldwickrailfan

atsf sp wrote:Why shouldnt they keep them in the coal fields? If you are a company that paid over 2.3 million dollars per unit you use that unit for its intended purpose. They will put on showcases like they did with the old GP59 heritage and like they have been doing but these engines were built to haul and you dont waste 4400/4350 HP on high viasibility trains that they are not suited for. NKP 8100 is not in the coal right now, it is excursioning with a Berk. The program is a sucess. Their image is insanely publicized now. NS did good, dont complain, this paint was not necessary, the steam was not necessary, but it was done.
Still, I think it's pointless to have a heritage program if they don't travel the system. They have traveled the whole coal system. They are also suitable to run manifest or intermodel. They just choose not to.

This is just my opinion on them, no need for anyone to get all up in arms over my post.
 #1072787  by blockline4180

waldwickrailfan wrote:
atsf sp wrote:Why shouldnt they keep them in the coal fields? If you are a company that paid over 2.3 million dollars per unit you use that unit for its intended purpose. They will put on showcases like they did with the old GP59 heritage and like they have been doing but these engines were built to haul and you dont waste 4400/4350 HP on high viasibility trains that they are not suited for. NKP 8100 is not in the coal right now, it is excursioning with a Berk. The program is a sucess. Their image is insanely publicized now. NS did good, dont complain, this paint was not necessary, the steam was not necessary, but it was done.
Still, I think it's pointless to have a heritage program if they don't travel the system. They have traveled the whole coal system. They are also suitable to run manifest or intermodel. They just choose not to.

This is just my opinion on them, no need for anyone to get all up in arms over my post.

Of course you have your opinion, and you are entitled to it, however complaining on here won't get you anywhere!! ! And I realize NS really hasn't been using them in North Jersey much, so that is your gripe with them on that! BUT if you really don't like that NS is using them in the coal fields then move out of New Jersey and go find them down in Virginia where they are currently operating!!!
 #1072921  by waldwickrailfan

blockline4180 wrote:
waldwickrailfan wrote:

Of course you have your opinion, and you are entitled to it, however complaining on here won't get you anywhere!! ! And I realize NS really hasn't been using them in North Jersey much, so that is your gripe with them on that! BUT if you really don't like that NS is using them in the coal fields then move out of New Jersey and go find them down in Virginia where they are currently operating!!!
If I had the money to move, I would
 #1072976  by atsf sp

Based on NS's motive power manifests should never be hauled by AC power. That is for DC engines especially the C40-9Ws which make up the largest percentage of units in NS's fleet. The intermodals do sometimes see these AC engines especially on the Pittsburgh line because of the grades. They are usually dropped at Harrisburg because the rest of the run does not need AC. DC is better for flat runs with lighter per car tonnage. This is why the AC's are used for the coal service, because they are fighting the Shenadoahs and the Altoona/Allegheny mountains with the heaviest tonnage being pulled so AC traction is better for low speed on high grade cause it won't burn out the traction motors. No one is up in arms that the 80MACs have always been used in coal service between Cresson and Johnstown for the same reasons.
 #1081210  by jgallaway81

Interstate: Found it in East Park (enginehouse) at Conway.
Nickel Plate: Conway, Altoona.. anywhere I chased the 765.
Penn Central: Back and forth on the PBG Line running on the trash trains
Southern: Enola -> HBG, third unit in my consist last night on the 506
 #1123221  by habu

Saw the Virginian unit on the tail end of a unit coal train last night. I was out walking the dog in the local park in Farragut, Tn., and at about 11 p.m it came rolling thru.