how many of you have seen a heritage unit in person

Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
waldwickrailfan

Re: how many of you have seen a heritage unit in person

Post by waldwickrailfan » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:59 am

Honestly, the heritage program is pointless if they're going to keep everything in the coal fields

I predicted this...
CSX ET44AH

atsf sp

Post by atsf sp » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:43 am

Why shouldnt they keep them in the coal fields? If you are a company that paid over 2.3 million dollars per unit you use that unit for its intended purpose. They will put on showcases like they did with the old GP59 heritage and like they have been doing but these engines were built to haul and you dont waste 4400/4350 HP on high viasibility trains that they are not suited for. NKP 8100 is not in the coal right now, it is excursioning with a Berk. The program is a sucess. Their image is insanely publicized now. NS did good, dont complain, this paint was not necessary, the steam was not necessary, but it was done.
"Why would you take a train to go see another train?"
Some people just don't understand.
My Photos

waldwickrailfan

Post by waldwickrailfan » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:18 am

atsf sp wrote:Why shouldnt they keep them in the coal fields? If you are a company that paid over 2.3 million dollars per unit you use that unit for its intended purpose. They will put on showcases like they did with the old GP59 heritage and like they have been doing but these engines were built to haul and you dont waste 4400/4350 HP on high viasibility trains that they are not suited for. NKP 8100 is not in the coal right now, it is excursioning with a Berk. The program is a sucess. Their image is insanely publicized now. NS did good, dont complain, this paint was not necessary, the steam was not necessary, but it was done.
Still, I think it's pointless to have a heritage program if they don't travel the system. They have traveled the whole coal system. They are also suitable to run manifest or intermodel. They just choose not to.

This is just my opinion on them, no need for anyone to get all up in arms over my post.
CSX ET44AH

blockline4180

Post by blockline4180 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:55 am

waldwickrailfan wrote:
atsf sp wrote:Why shouldnt they keep them in the coal fields? If you are a company that paid over 2.3 million dollars per unit you use that unit for its intended purpose. They will put on showcases like they did with the old GP59 heritage and like they have been doing but these engines were built to haul and you dont waste 4400/4350 HP on high viasibility trains that they are not suited for. NKP 8100 is not in the coal right now, it is excursioning with a Berk. The program is a sucess. Their image is insanely publicized now. NS did good, dont complain, this paint was not necessary, the steam was not necessary, but it was done.
Still, I think it's pointless to have a heritage program if they don't travel the system. They have traveled the whole coal system. They are also suitable to run manifest or intermodel. They just choose not to.

This is just my opinion on them, no need for anyone to get all up in arms over my post.

Of course you have your opinion, and you are entitled to it, however complaining on here won't get you anywhere!! ! And I realize NS really hasn't been using them in North Jersey much, so that is your gripe with them on that! BUT if you really don't like that NS is using them in the coal fields then move out of New Jersey and go find them down in Virginia where they are currently operating!!!
~Steve Pellettiere
Co-Moderator: DL&W/Erie/EL Forum
"Each of us makes his own weather, determines the color of the skies in the emotional universe which he inhabits."

waldwickrailfan

Post by waldwickrailfan » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:49 pm

blockline4180 wrote:
waldwickrailfan wrote:

Of course you have your opinion, and you are entitled to it, however complaining on here won't get you anywhere!! ! And I realize NS really hasn't been using them in North Jersey much, so that is your gripe with them on that! BUT if you really don't like that NS is using them in the coal fields then move out of New Jersey and go find them down in Virginia where they are currently operating!!!
If I had the money to move, I would
CSX ET44AH

atsf sp

Post by atsf sp » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:03 pm

Based on NS's motive power manifests should never be hauled by AC power. That is for DC engines especially the C40-9Ws which make up the largest percentage of units in NS's fleet. The intermodals do sometimes see these AC engines especially on the Pittsburgh line because of the grades. They are usually dropped at Harrisburg because the rest of the run does not need AC. DC is better for flat runs with lighter per car tonnage. This is why the AC's are used for the coal service, because they are fighting the Shenadoahs and the Altoona/Allegheny mountains with the heaviest tonnage being pulled so AC traction is better for low speed on high grade cause it won't burn out the traction motors. No one is up in arms that the 80MACs have always been used in coal service between Cresson and Johnstown for the same reasons.
My Photos

wurlitzer153

Post by wurlitzer153 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:23 pm

After catching 206 today, I now have 3 on my list:

NKP
NS
MGA

wurlitzer153

Post by wurlitzer153 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:46 am

wurlitzer153 wrote:After catching 206 today, I now have 3 on my list:

NKP
NS
MGA
Up to four. Saw the CNJ parked in Ashtabula.

MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

Post by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:22 pm

for those interested, I read in an email, and saw on NERAILS, a NS heritage unit came East to Ayer today, 9/9/12 on MOAY....look for her to lead??? on AYMO tomorrow 9/10

atsf sp

Post by atsf sp » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:56 pm

Its the MON unit
My Photos

jgallaway81
Location: Milepost PT236 on the Pittsburgh Line - Altoona, PA

Post by jgallaway81 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:31 pm

Interstate: Found it in East Park (enginehouse) at Conway.
Nickel Plate: Conway, Altoona.. anywhere I chased the 765.
Penn Central: Back and forth on the PBG Line running on the trash trains
Southern: Enola -> HBG, third unit in my consist last night on the 506

Earle Baldwin

Post by Earle Baldwin » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:52 pm

I saw the "Monongahela" 8025 eastbound on the Port Reading Secondary in Woodbridge this morning. It is currently sitting at Erail in Elizabethport.

Bob

markffisch

Post by markffisch » Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:41 pm

I was down in Roanoke Friday visiting the Virgina Museum of Transportation. The Lehigh Valley and the Lackawanna came thru as part of a 6 engine consist pulling a mixed freight heading west.
Mark

habu

Post by habu » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:21 pm

Saw the Virginian unit on the tail end of a unit coal train last night. I was out walking the dog in the local park in Farragut, Tn., and at about 11 p.m it came rolling thru.

amtrakhogger

Post by amtrakhogger » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:11 pm

The CNJ unit was in Bayview Yard about a week and half ago on of all things, a coal train.
You think that was slow? Next time it will be even slower! Ya see, the headlight will be coming through the steam and its
never gonna get there!

Return to “Norfolk Southern”