Railroad Forums 

• Norfolk Southern Heritage Units.

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
 #1018449  by scottychaos

Just announced! Image
Norfolk Southern to debut heritage fleet
Published: February 16, 2012
NORFOLK, Va. — To celebrate the 30th anniversary of the Norfolk & Western/Southern merger in 1982, Norfolk Southern plans to honor many of the railroads that make up the present day NS system. As Union Pacific did a half-decade ago, NS plans to create a fleet of heritage locomotives, though NS’s plans are bigger: 18 units honoring a wide variety of predecessor roads.

The 18 predecessor railroads selected for heritage paint are:

• Central of Georgia
• Conrail
• Erie
• Erie Lackawanna
• Lehigh Valley (red)
• New Haven (not definite yet)
• New York Central
• Nickel Plate Road
• Norfolk & Western (blue)
• Penn Central
• Pennsylvania (Tuscan Red)
• Pittsburgh & West Virginia
• Reading
• Savannah & Atlanta
• Southern
• Tennessee, Alabama & Georgia
• Virginian
• Wabash

Full Article:
http://trn.trains.com/en/Railroad%20New ... fleet.aspx

Scot
 #1018458  by scottychaos

sportsguy wrote:I do not know how accurate they are, but i found a video with some of the possible schemes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogldBpSZ140
make sure you turn your speakers OFF before clicking that link!
worst..music..ever..

considering those images were made in 2006, and that video was uploaded in 2009, and they are SD70M-2's..
those definitely aren't official NS renderings..
they are just fan art..no relation to whatever the real NS heritage schemes will end up being..

Scot
Last edited by scottychaos on Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1018459  by MEC407

You know the old saying, "Go big or go home?" It looks like that is exactly what NS will be doing with their heritage fleet. :-D
 #1018460  by isaksenj

The Erie Lackawanna Dining Car Preservation Society is pleased to have cooperated with Norfolk Southern on their Heritage Locomotive program. ELDCPS provided paint and graphics information for both the EL Gray/Maroon/Yellow scheme, and the Erie "Erie Limited" passenger scheme. It'll be interesting to see how the colors translate onto modern widecab equipment, with SD70ACes and ES44AC units being the basis. NS publicly has stated that their Heritage program will adhere a close to the original schemes as possible, so this should be a treat!
 #1018476  by ANDY117

I look forward to hopefully seeing the EL and ERIE units on home rails in Binghamton, and the LV unit in Sayre!
 #1018488  by blockline4180

isaksenj wrote:The Erie Lackawanna Dining Car Preservation Society is pleased to have cooperated with Norfolk Southern on their Heritage Locomotive program. ELDCPS provided paint and graphics information for both the EL Gray/Maroon/Yellow scheme, and the Erie "Erie Limited" passenger scheme. It'll be interesting to see how the colors translate onto modern widecab equipment, with SD70ACes and ES44AC units being the basis. NS publicly has stated that their Heritage program will adhere a close to the original schemes as possible, so this should be a treat!
You guys did a wonderful job!!! Much appreciated!!!
 #1018755  by Otto Vondrak

isaksenj wrote:The Erie Lackawanna Dining Car Preservation Society is pleased to have cooperated with Norfolk Southern on their Heritage Locomotive program.
Awesome!
NS publicly has stated that their Heritage program will adhere a close to the original schemes as possible, so this should be a treat!
Where did they state this?

-otto-
 #1018758  by Otto Vondrak

Not that I'm complaining, because heritage paint schemes sound cool no matter what, but why would NS do a New Haven paint job? I can't identify one stick of rail they operate on that is former New Haven.

This will be quite a colorful roster once they are done, though!

-otto-
 #1018816  by atsf sp

What surprises me is the amount they are doing. I'm looking forward especially to the Central of Georgia unit.
 #1019003  by MEC407

Good call. That seems like it would make more sense than New Haven.
 #1019007  by amtrakhogger

I would like to see a SD40-2 in PC paint working the Curve in pusher service (or maybe two of them!)
 #1019038  by workextra

We all have our favorite roads and schemes we'd like to see, but Ill be grateful with what ever NS does. Too much rivet counting and complaining from the "fans" are a turn off to the railroad. Support the NS program as is. We want to encourage such programs to be maintained even after the celebrations have ended, A modern twist on old colors who cares, It's something.
no complaints from me!!!