Railroad Forums 

• Freight train speeds + GMLX locomotives

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
 #976326  by SouthernRailway

I saw a NS freight train speed through Clemson, SC yesterday, on the main line between Charlotte and Atlanta.

First, is there any site or way to determine NS freight train speeds? If the maximum for Amtrak is 79 mph, do NS freight trains also travel 79 mph in the same places where Amtrak does?

Second, two of the three locomotives on the train were light blue with a silver stripe; I didn't see a railroad name on them, other then the reporting mark GMLX. The only Internet info I could find out about GMLX is "Greenwich & Meridian Lines", but is that a real railroad or equipment provider?

Thanks.
 #976436  by shlustig

GMLX is not a railroad. Any reporting marks ending in X, Y, or Z are either leasing companies or non-operating owners of railroad equipment (X) or trailers & containers (Y,Z).

There are a few websites that give the listing of the reporting marks.

Freight train speeds are specified in the employee timetables and may vary as to maximum speed or speed restrictions due to types of equipment in the train.
 #977664  by MBTA1052

Does anyone know the track speed in and around Winston-Salem Yard?? One of the locomotives on the line had a digital read of the speed and it said 11mph but why so slow could it have something to do with the track condition??
 #977861  by Dewoc19

yes, anything ending in the letter "X" is owned by somebody else, that blue locomotive is a leased JUNKER!!!

as far as speed limits go, max speed is 50 mph for freight trains

and to the other guy asking what the speed limit in a yard is, its restricted speed not to exceed 10 mph. If the train was coming into a yard on any track other than main line they were probably running on restricted speed. Here in Chicago we never get a signal better than restricted entering or leaving a yard