Railroad Forums 

• NS 8814?

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
 #976123  by jaymac

Does anyone know how and/or when D-9 8814, a frequent visitor to Pan Am Southern/ Pan Am, got the older EMD nose?
 #976137  by NSDash9

NS 8814 does not have an EMD nose. NS GE Dash 9-40C units 8764-8888 were built by GE with a standard cab and low short hood.

Chris Toth
NSDash9.com
Also visit the NSDash9 facebook page for the latest updates.
 #976145  by jaymac

NSDash9-
Thanks for the quick response. 8814 was leader on a Bow, NH-bound unit coal train sitting in Gardner, MA, on the morning of 10-01. The 8814 had what truly seemed to be an old-style, narrow, low-hood EMD SD nose, but then again, mebbe my eyes are failing me.
 #976215  by jaymac

What had failed me wasn't so much my eyes, but how I used them. A bit of looking later -- Google, YouTube, and others -- showed me that not all NS Dash 9s are created equal. Dash 9s in my area -- New England -- are pretty much NS, visitor UPs, and CSX. The UPs and CSXs have been exclusively wide-nose, and until yesterday, I was unaware that there were narrow-nose 9s. Oh, well...