Railroad Forums 

• Can NS & SEPTA Play nice Norristown to Reading?

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
 #747853  by jfrey40535

There's a big push to move the R6 extension back to Wyomissing. Either a diesel, dual mode or electric. Since the Reading corridor is one of NS's busiest in the area, how likely is it that the passenger trains won't get in the way of the growing frieght market.

What is NS going to charge SEPTA (the assumed operator) to run on their lines?
 #748637  by PARailWiz

My understanding was that Norfolk Southern originally wanted SEPTA to rebuild the old PRR low-grade lines to make up for the lost capacity (this under the very expensive, high frequency light-rail-ish plan). Even with more low-key diesel passenger service I'm sure there would be new track and sidings laid to increase capacity at the very least. Given the growing traffic base and the new intermodal terminal construction NS has announced in Philadelphia and other places they may still try to get the low-grade routes rebuilt.
 #748764  by gp80mac

PARailWiz wrote:My understanding was that Norfolk Southern originally wanted SEPTA to rebuild the old PRR low-grade lines to make up for the lost capacity (this under the very expensive, high frequency light-rail-ish plan). Even with more low-key diesel passenger service I'm sure there would be new track and sidings laid to increase capacity at the very least. Given the growing traffic base and the new intermodal terminal construction NS has announced in Philadelphia and other places they may still try to get the low-grade routes rebuilt.
Nope. NS has officially passed ownership of the Low Grade to the municipalities it passes through. Parts are already opened up as a trail, and at least one overpass has been removed (with more to follow, I'm sure). The low grade is officially dead.
 #758184  by PARailWiz

Keep in mind that NS (and CSX) are shareholder owned companies...they can't give away valuable assets, and to build a line from scratch to Reading would be astronomically costly. As BuddSilverliner269 says, if SEPTA (or someone) is willing to make it worth their while than NS will play nice.
 #758312  by Big Bri

If ONLY Septa and PADot would have made that deal back in 2001-02 w/NS.........we'd have the A&S Branch back.
Now it's just a trail.
Though, dealing with Amtrak between PARK and GLEN would have been a whole 'nother issue.
Especially with "Double Stacks" and the Catenary.
Big Bri
 #760346  by Kaback9

gp80mac wrote:Is there any serious demand for Reading - Philly commuter service? Seems like an oddball pair.
That is a good question, but I would think there has to be at least some for SEPTA to be looking at it.
 #760710  by PARailWiz

The intent of the Reading service is to relieve congestion on Route 422. This corridor has seen considerable development in the past couple of decades between Norristown and Reading.