Railroad Forums 

• NS Abrams Yard and Area Questions

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
 #732560  by cr5290

Hi everyone,
I live about an hour and a half from the Abrams Yard area. I know that it's not too railfan-friendly, but I know that NS #2100 (CR-painted) SW1001 is working the H25 local. I'd be making a huge drive to and from the area, and I'd like to make the best out of it. If anyone has any suggestions as to when to go (good times for lots of trains, or at least ones that typically have good power), or where to go in the area, I'd appreciate any help at all. Thanks for reading and thanks for any help

Kyle
 #737347  by ns2110

Generally Fridays are the best days to chase the H25. That's usually the day that the H25 goes into Manayunk where you can walk along the towpath and follow the train's progress on foot or bike as there's a walking path that parallels the tracks across the Manayunk Canal. You're right about Abrams not being too friendly but there's a sidewalk right across the street that you can stand and watch. I've never had any problems doing that.
 #750682  by glennk419

Word has it that NS is starting to retire some of the SW1001's with 2106 and 2107 being the latest. Best that you get out and catch them sooner rather than later. I believe there's also one or two usually hanging around Pavonia Yard in Camden if you are so inclined. I will also chime in with the others regarding staying off of NS property at Abrams, the bulldogs will bite. Best bet is to park in the strip shopping center up the hill and walk down the sidewalk on the opposite site of Henderson Road.