Aggressive NS growth as a result of Pan Am Southern?

Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
daylight4449
Posts: 1554
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:48 pm
Location: Leicester, MA

Aggressive NS growth as a result of Pan Am Southern?

Post by daylight4449 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:00 am

now, in recent weeks, norfolk southern and pan am railways announced a joint venture on pan am southern. with norfolk southern in the state, what does it spell for the ex-conrail lines taken over by CSX in 1997?. well, NS has been expanding by leaps and bounds, most notably NS's partnership with canadian national to upgrade the mid-american corridor out of chicago. frankly, i smell another wave coming. now, when NS began it's campain to take over conrail in the early 90s, CSX realized what a problem it could be, and a takeover battle insued. well, NS didn't get all of conrail, and CSX got all the former B&A routes north of new york city, along with owning part of the lines in conneticut, rhode island, upstate new york, and the lines in southern new hampshire and vermont. well, it seems to me that NS wants the old B&A routes under it's rule, as a joint venture on one of the most used freight corridors in massachuetts gave NS access to boston, deerfeild, ayer, and numerous other large cities, includding access to worcester on pan am trackage north of the city. now, it appears that NS wants to have CSX's share of conrail, as it is proving extremely profitable. this kind of powerstruggle could be distaterous! with one of the big four in syracruse(the union pacific), it makes you wonder if they will throw their cards down in a third party move, of partner with one of those carriers, offering a route between boston and san fransisco, on a single road. your thoughts anyone?

newpylong
Posts: 4302
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:32 pm
Location: NH

Re: Here they come...

Post by newpylong » Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:39 pm

Disastrous? Since when is competition disastrous? They do not want the B&A or it's lines nor will they ever get them.

They are going to try to compete the best they can with the B&M and grow the traffic base.

dirtydave
Posts: 112
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:57 pm
Location: central, ky

Re: Here they come...

Post by dirtydave » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:44 pm

competition is good for buisness. maybe it will save the customers some money and help their bottom line also.
What happens when an immovable object meets an unstoppable object?

User avatar
Otto Vondrak
Posts: 20285
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 6:47 pm
Location: New York

Re: Aggressive NS growth as a result of Pan Am Southern?

Post by Otto Vondrak » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:18 am

daylight4449 wrote:frankly, i smell another wave coming.
I don't know what you smell, but Warren Buffett you are not.

-otto-
----------------------------------------------
Moderator: New York State Railfan :: New York Central :: Toy Trains
NYW&B Fan Site :: A Magazine I Read Often :: A Museum I Volunteer At

User avatar
GulfRail
Posts: 137
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:04 am

Re: Aggressive NS growth as a result of Pan Am Southern?

Post by GulfRail » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:16 am

daylight4449 wrote:now, in recent weeks, norfolk southern and pan am railways announced a joint venture on pan am southern. with norfolk southern in the state, what does it spell for the ex-conrail lines taken over by CSX in 1997?. well, NS has been expanding by leaps and bounds, most notably NS's partnership with canadian national to upgrade the mid-american corridor out of chicago. frankly, i smell another wave coming. now, when NS began it's campain to take over conrail in the early 90s, CSX realized what a problem it could be, and a takeover battle insued. well, NS didn't get all of conrail, and CSX got all the former B&A routes north of new york city, along with owning part of the lines in conneticut, rhode island, upstate new york, and the lines in southern new hampshire and vermont. well, it seems to me that NS wants the old B&A routes under it's rule, as a joint venture on one of the most used freight corridors in massachuetts gave NS access to boston, deerfeild, ayer, and numerous other large cities, includding access to worcester on pan am trackage north of the city. now, it appears that NS wants to have CSX's share of conrail, as it is proving extremely profitable. this kind of powerstruggle could be distaterous! with one of the big four in syracruse(the union pacific), it makes you wonder if they will throw their cards down in a third party move, of partner with one of those carriers, offering a route between boston and san fransisco, on a single road. your thoughts anyone?
I think daylight4449 meant that Norfolk Southern wanted the B&M routes under its rule, because the cities Daylight listed are NOT on the B&A, but they ARE on the B&M. And the truth is, once the recession is over (and its ending, believe me), there very well could be another merger wave. Look what happened after the 1979-1983 recession: CSX, Norfolk Southern, UP-MoPac-WP, SPSF (unsucessful), BN-Frisco and Guilford. When recessions end, railroads tend to merge. Another example: in the aftermath of the 1958 recession, the B&O-C&O affiliation took place, along with the Erie-Lackawanna merger, and the N&W acquired the Wabash, Nickel Plate, AC&Y and the P&WV.
All the class one railroads are strong, with their operating ratios being in the mid to low 70's (CSX, for example, had/has an operating ratio of 73%. Pretty healty when compared to 86.8% just five years ago.) All the class ones are flush with cash, and could take advantage of lower share prices to acquire stock in their principal connections. The DM&E-CPR merger reminds me of the VGN-N&W merger. If anything, that could be a sign of what's coming up. Perhaps no class-one mergers, but more regionals being subsumed back into their larger counterparts.

JoeCollege
Posts: 220
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2005 10:52 am
Location: Put in the corner by Otto.

Re: Aggressive NS growth as a result of Pan Am Southern?

Post by JoeCollege » Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:58 am

daylight4449 wrote: with one of the big four in syracruse(the union pacific), it makes you wonder if they will throw their cards down in a third party move, of partner with one of those carriers, offering a route between boston and san fransisco, on a single road. your thoughts anyone?
(A) Since when is UP in Syracuse?
(B) Are you suggesting that Syracuse, NY is some sort of linchpin of the entire North American railroad universe?
(C) What does Syracuse have to do with NS or the old B&A other than being a potential pass-through city for traffic to/from B&A territory?

daylight4449
Posts: 1554
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:48 pm
Location: Leicester, MA

Re: Aggressive NS growth as a result of Pan Am Southern?

Post by daylight4449 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:05 pm

JoeCollege wrote:
daylight4449 wrote: with one of the big four in syracruse(the union pacific), it makes you wonder if they will throw their cards down in a third party move, of partner with one of those carriers, offering a route between boston and san fransisco, on a single road. your thoughts anyone?
(A) Since when is UP in Syracuse?
(B) Are you suggesting that Syracuse, NY is some sort of linchpin of the entire North American railroad universe?
(C) What does Syracuse have to do with NS or the old B&A other than being a potential pass-through city for traffic to/from B&A territory?
the UP runs the pacific fruit express between washington, and the endpoint is in syracruse

User avatar
Rockingham Racer
Posts: 3653
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2004 9:25 pm

Re: Aggressive NS growth as a result of Pan Am Southern?

Post by Rockingham Racer » Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:25 pm

I believe that is incorrect. On the UP I think the train you're referring to is ZWASK [SK standing for Selkirk] and on CSX its Q090/091.

Gadfly
Posts: 1198
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:28 pm

Re: Aggressive NS growth as a result of Pan Am Southern?

Post by Gadfly » Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:47 pm

daylight4449 wrote:now, in recent weeks, norfolk southern and pan am railways announced a joint venture on pan am southern. with norfolk southern in the state, what does it spell for the ex-conrail lines taken over by CSX in 1997?. well, NS has been expanding by leaps and bounds, most notably NS's partnership with canadian national to upgrade the mid-american corridor out of chicago. frankly, i smell another wave coming. now, when NS began it's campain to take over conrail in the early 90s, CSX realized what a problem it could be, and a takeover battle insued. well, NS didn't get all of conrail, and CSX got all the former B&A routes north of new york city, along with owning part of the lines in conneticut, rhode island, upstate new york, and the lines in southern new hampshire and vermont. well, it seems to me that NS wants the old B&A routes under it's rule, as a joint venture on one of the most used freight corridors in massachuetts gave NS access to boston, deerfeild, ayer, and numerous other large cities, includding access to worcester on pan am trackage north of the city. now, it appears that NS wants to have CSX's share of conrail, as it is proving extremely profitable. this kind of powerstruggle could be distaterous! with one of the big four in syracruse(the union pacific), it makes you wonder if they will throw their cards down in a third party move, of partner with one of those carriers, offering a route between boston and san fransisco, on a single road. your thoughts anyone?
Some of this is slightly backwards. NS DID began a campaign to BUY all of Conrail (at the end of the 80's?). The Feds rebuffed this effort. In the 90's, CSX launched a buy, or takeover bid that amounted to a "sneak" attack, a middle-of-the-night bid that would have shut NS out of the Northeast Corridor. Mr Goode literally leaped out of BED to begin the legal steps to STOP this as it would been DISASTER for NS! This resulted in the Conrail jointly owned and run by the two railroads today.

GF

User avatar
charlie6017
Posts: 3137
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 9:42 pm
Location: Rochester, New York

Re: Aggressive NS growth as a result of Pan Am Southern?

Post by charlie6017 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:32 am

daylight4449 wrote:the UP runs the pacific fruit express between washington, and the endpoint is in syracruse
Actually the train terminates in South Schenectady, NY.
~Charlie Ricker

JoeCollege
Posts: 220
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2005 10:52 am
Location: Put in the corner by Otto.

Re: Aggressive NS growth as a result of Pan Am Southern?

Post by JoeCollege » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:37 am

charlie6017 wrote:
daylight4449 wrote:the UP runs the pacific fruit express between washington, and the endpoint is in syracruse
Actually the train terminates in South Schenectady, NY.
Correct. And that doesn't mean that UP has any sort of real railroad/operational presence in Syracuse. Or South Schenectady. Selkirk either for that matter.

Kaback9
Posts: 4467
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:48 am

Re: Aggressive NS growth as a result of Pan Am Southern?

Post by Kaback9 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:04 pm

What does any of this UP talk have to do with Norfolk Southern?

Getting back to the original topic. Competition is good for both NS and CSX, NS is not looking to takeover any of CSX's routes just to get into the market in New England.
Brandon Kaback
Moderator:NJT Rail

atsf sp
Posts: 2181
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:00 pm

Re: Aggressive NS growth as a result of Pan Am Southern?

Post by atsf sp » Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:44 pm

1)Boston is a dying market, hence the reason for CSX pulling out and PAR abandoning their old yard and barely running any more.
2)The B&A will never leave CSX control unless something major happens to the company.
3) Why would UP want to join a mjaor partnership with NS?
4) PAS did not create a upgrade love for NS. If anything, they regret it.
5) The UP train on the CSX trackage is a train that starts on UP territory and ends on CSX. But the engines are only UP for time reasons and not UP crews. It is a CSX train that solely uses UP power.
"Why would you take a train to go see another train?"
Some people just don't understand.
My Photos

User avatar
ST214
Posts: 1493
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 6:49 pm
Location: Cleveland Heights, OH

Re: Aggressive NS growth as a result of Pan Am Southern?

Post by ST214 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:16 am

NS wanted Guilford for two reasons.....
1. Intermodal traffic
2. Auto traffic

The intermodals (AYMO/MOAY) have grown since NS got involved. JB Hunt now has offices in Ayer to handle all the trailers coming in via rail. Ayer has easy access to Rte. 2 and is very close to I-495, so placement is good.

The auto traffic will be coming once the yard is ready...have heard there could be two daily rack trains, but one to start.

HOWEVER, Guilford/Pan Am has really dropped the ball and pissed NS off....NS is more involved in daily operations than they cared to be when the venture started, due to Pan Am stopped putting up the nice facade and went back to doing things the way they have for years...nothing.

Also, i have heard that NS has taken over ALL marketing in and west of Ayer, on ALL lines, including the Conn river because they felt that Pan Am was not reaching out to current/potential customers enough.

NS will make money here....they're putting forward the effort to get and retain customers, something GRS/Pan Am failed at.
Hoping for a rebirth of the Screamer fleet.

daylight4449
Posts: 1554
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:48 pm
Location: Leicester, MA

Re: Aggressive NS growth as a result of Pan Am Southern?

Post by daylight4449 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:15 am

another thought:
1) NS wants to create enouugh of a presence in MA to get influence
2) with MA now owning the boston line, NS may hope to take over CSX freight opporations on the boston line

Return to “Norfolk Southern”