Railroad Forums 

• NS's presence in the fromer LVRR Bethlehem freight station

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
 #654174  by Bethlehem Jct.

Schuylkill Valley wrote:The Bethlehem LV Freight station is long gone, I think you mean the building next to CP-88 that was part of the Bethlehem Steel Company.

Len.
That is the building I'm refering to. It was was formerly the Lehigh Valley freight station. In fact, there are big letters on it's front (the side facing the river) that say "Lehigh Valley Freight Station." The larger building, to which the freight house is attached, was the Johnson Machine Company.

The building that was torn down was used by the Railway Express Agency. It had suffered severe fire damage some years before being razed. But because the REA building was closer to the mainline tracks and the passenger station, it has been mistakenly identified as the LV's freight station over the years. Although, I suppose it's possible the LV used the REA structure, before moving to the extant brick building. I'm not an architecure expert, but it looks newer than the late 20's, when the passenger station was buillt. Perhaps the REA building was older, and formerly used by the LV?
Anyone know?
Last edited by Bethlehem Jct. on Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #654238  by Bethlehem Jct.

Bethlehem Jct. wrote:
Schuylkill Valley wrote:The Bethlehem LV Freight station is long gone, I think you mean the building next to CP-88 that was part of the Bethlehem Steel Company.

Len.
That is the building I'm refering to. It was was formerly the Lehigh Valley freight station. In fact, there are big letters on it's front (the side facing the river) that say "Lehigh Valley Freight Station." The larger building, to which the freight house is attached, was the Johnson Machine Company.

The building that was torn down was used by the Railway Express Agency. It had suffered severe fire damage some years before being razed. But because the REA building was closer to the mainline tracks and the passenger station, it has been mistakenly identified as the LV's freight station over the years. Although, I suppose it's possible the LV used the REA structure, before moving to the extant brick building. I'm not an architecure expert, but it looks newer than the late 20's, when the passenger station was buillt. Perhaps the REA building was older, and formerly used by the LV?
Anyone know?
In the 1938 aerial photo on Penn Pilot, the current structure (i.e., former freight house) doesn't appear to be present. So it's possible that the LV did use the structure that was demolished some years ago. But there seems to be tracks curving off the mainline along Union Station Plaza toward 2nd St., and there's a building along side the tracks. The Johnson Machinery building had not been built yet. Maybe that structure along Union Station Plaza was the freight house?