Railroad Forums 

• ex-Virginian Railway ex-N&W Tug W. R. COE

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
 #48485  by mxdata

Just a note to let anyone interested in this vessel know that it is still in service, operating in the Boston area. This tug still looks very similar to its appearance when built, and the owner keeps it in very nice condition.

#61853  by mxdata

Recent word from the waterfront is that the former W. R. COE is presently excess to the owner's needs due to delivery of two new tractor tugs, and will be placed in storage, so there is little probability of seeing the tug operating in the Boston Harbor area now. In addition to this tug, the former railroad tugs Lehigh Valley CAPMOORE, the New Haven RR BUMBLEBEE, the Erie Railroad AKRON, and the Reading Company BRANDYWINE are all operating or stored in the Boston area at the present time.

#124136  by vahambone

I am writing an article for the Norfolk and Western Historical Society's bi-monthly magazine, THE ARROW, on the Virginian Ry. tug, the W.R.Coe. I have found bits and pieces of information, but I would appreciate anything that anyone can contribute because it may be something that I have not turned up.

In particular, I would like to know when the N&W, which inherited the tug from the VGN in the Dec. 1, 1959, merger, sold the tug and to whom. I understand that the present owner is Boston Towing and that the Coe may be out of service as of last fall, but what is her present name?

Again, I would appreciate any information that anyone can supply.