Railroad Forums 

• New Question on Trenton Cutoff

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
 #614964  by train2

I have read with interest this discussion of the Trenton Cut Off. Since I am new to the area can you give me a little overview as to what is active today?

In my limited understanding of the area the Trenton Cut Off took off from the PRR E-W main at Thorndale and ran north of the E-W line all the way to Morrisville. I know the line is used from the King of Prussia area to Morrisville. I also noticed folks talk about a local on the E-W Line at Thorndale that at this point I think uses the west end of the cut off?

In the 3 pages of discussion on the cut off I now read of ROW being used for transmission lines with no rails in place. So my question is: I take it the tracks don't go all the way thru any longer? What are the current limits and how much in miles is no longer is used? What names of the area on maps could you look for to find the active sections and or the RR names/CP locations?

Any other tips on significant points of interest for a future visitor would be appreciated.
 #615897  by train2

So I understand you to say a ALL Morrisville Line trains from the west pass through the SEPTA station at Norristown to get on the Morrisville Line? Is that correct?

Can you give any tips as to how to find CP King?

The last time I was in Norristown I saw a freight parked without a crew with the power sitting just off the end of the large light colored (almost white) bridge over the highway near the King of Prussia exit. Without a map I hesitate to say the number of the highway. This section of track was single track but had old cat poles. I was not on the highway but on my way into town and drove up to a point where I could find the power. I found what looked like a regular crew change point, the fence had a gate in it right were the train was parked.

What line is this? I thought it was Morrisville Line? Was it the part of the line called the Dale Secondary?

Since it was on the south/east side of the where does the Dale Sec. cross the river?
 #616670  by Big Bri

The Cat Poles carrying the 132,000Kv are still up from GLEN to roughly the middle of the long since abandoned Earnest Yard where CP KING now lies.The PA Turnpike parallels the old Trenton Cut-off in the area of King of Prussia all the way out to around CP LANG in Langhorne.
The Trenton Cut-off is split into 2 seperate pieces of railroad:NS' Morrisville Line from Morrisville to KING.And the Dale Secondary from KING to GLEN.
The H-3A or H-83 local out of Abrams is the only train using the Dale Sec. to and from Coatesville.Power is almost always 2 Six-axle engines and anywhere from 10-40 cars.The local also utilizes an xCR N-21 Caboose for the shove down the long hill to access the steel mill in Coatesville.The westbound H-83/H-3A runs daylight on Amtrak between GLEN and Coatesville anywhere between 10am and 1pm.So chances are excellent for getting pictures of the freight under the wires! I prefer THORN tower,Downingtown,Whitford(using the P&T trestle as a prop)and Coatesville Sta.
Amtrak recently ripped up #3 track between DOWNS and PARK.And the 11,000 volt trolley wire is now down on #2 track between CALN and PARK.

The Morrisville Line portion of the Cut-off see's Doublestack trains 20E/21E,20Q/21Q.Manifest trains 14G/17G.And steel slab trains 67Z and mty gons in 66Z.

Norristown Sta. on Septa's R-6 line is a neat place to watch these trains traverse.
Take a scanner with you to hear where the NS trains are:
160.800 AAR 46/46 is NS Mainline Disp. from Morrisville to GLEN and CP River to Phoenixville
160.635 AAR 35/35 is Amtrak's HBG Mainline from Overbrook to HBG.
161.460/160.590 AAR 90/32 is Septa's R-6 used for a short distance by NS thru Norristown.

Happy Hunting!

Big Bri