Railroad Forums 

• NS GP60 units

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
 #518668  by OCtrainguy

I am curious as to duties the GP60 units are currently assigned to. I know that for a while, the GP60s and B32-8 units were assigned to NS trains 211/212/213/214 that ran the Lehigh Line into northern New Jersey. Now, these trains have been regularly running with six-axle engines.

So my question is whether or not these units are still assigned to main line trains or local service. Or maybe it is just these trains that no longer have the GP60s on them. Any information would be appreciated.

#518752  by mu26aeh

I know that when I am in Hagerstown, MD, I routinely see them on hotshot trailer/stack trains. Usually 3 or 4 at a time.

#519807  by OCtrainguy

So then they are just not making it on the trains into/out of New Jersey at the present time.

#519887  by gp80mac

Up until last fall-winter they WERE being used on Jersey/hagerstown trains (along with the bubba B32-8s). But they disappeared since then. I have seen a few starting to show back up again for the oddball train... but nothing like it used to be.

#519975  by PRRGuy

I've noticed that some of the GP60/GP50/GP49's have migrated west and about 12 of various types are based out of Burns Harbor, IN Yard on the former NYC/PC/CR mainline.

Also there are a few B32-8's here as well.
 #553227  by hoborich

I saw a couple GP60s on 69T the other night. It's the steel train out of River Rouge, Michigan
 #555809  by SOU2645

The GP60's and the ill fated B32-8's have been turned back to local duties. Increasing age and especially in the GE's case - unreliablity - have made NS look to newer power for their hottest (and often heavy weighing) intermodals. GP60's are still used to haul intermodal transfers in Atlanta to Austell and back.
Larry
 #572614  by Tadman

The Hegewisch NKP yard used to have a GP60 frequently as switcher, but now it's whatever NS has on hand, including six-axle, wide-cab, foreign road - it's really a grab-bag. However, as switching goes, there's not much but back-forth with the joints going on at the other end, so visibility isn't too important.