Railroad Forums 

• NS pushers

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
 #514932  by teacherjayson

I live within sight of the NS mainline through Niota, TN. I have observed NS traffic through this region for 10 year now. Most traffic us unit coal trains with the occasional mixed consist. My young son and I will sit and watch the trains pass whenever we're not otherwise occupied. Recently I noticed a coal drag pass with two pushers in the rear. This was a snowy day and I wrote it off to a precautionary measure due to the weather. However, I have since witnessed the same pushers during fair weather. I know there are occasions when NS needs to simply move motive power, but these are usually lashed in the front consist. Can anyone comment on this change of practice by NS.

#515761  by ziggy44

Not sure where Niota,Tn is but I know the coal train that runs out of Bulls Gap, Tn has pushers on the rear. They have been for about the last year using diversified power units on the rear , basically its just a type of remote control on the rear.
 #515873  by teacherjayson

Niota is located along I-75 about 1/2 way between Chattanooga and Knoxville. The NS line runs right through the middle of town. A local business is the Crescent Hosiery Mill which was named after the old Southern Crescent that used to pass through here. I have not noticed ANY pushers throught this area until about 3 wks ago. Since I have observed only three occurances. Each time they had 3 lead engines and two pushers. The last one I could tell that the pushers were indeed pushing by their exhaust and engine load. I certainly do not see every train that passes, but I watch about every one that I hear. I was just curious what had brought about this change in operation.
 #559004  by red rover

I observed with interest that Teacherjason & Ziggy44 were discussing Helpers on the
NS Coal Trains. I often fan on the line in Atlanta going to Charlotte. Most of the traffic
is mixed and intermodal. On 5 occasions mainly on the weekend I have observed a loaded
coal train coming from the Charlotte area with 2 helpers on the rear. This is the only train
that I have ever seen helpers. The cars if I recall are the newer aluminum with HYWX
Label. I am curious as to where they originate. I thought that most coal trains came out
of KY,Southwest VA & WV through Knoxville and Chattanooga to Atlanta. Does this train
possible come out of Newport TN via Biltmore and Spartanburg connecting to the Charlotte
to Atl Line? Any information would be helpful.
red rover
 #559552  by habu

red rover wrote:I observed with interest that Teacherjason & Ziggy44 were discussing Helpers on the
NS Coal Trains. I often fan on the line in Atlanta going to Charlotte. Most of the traffic
is mixed and intermodal. On 5 occasions mainly on the weekend I have observed a loaded
coal train coming from the Charlotte area with 2 helpers on the rear. This is the only train
that I have ever seen helpers. The cars if I recall are the newer aluminum with HYWX
Label. I am curious as to where they originate. I thought that most coal trains came out
of KY,Southwest VA & WV through Knoxville and Chattanooga to Atlanta. Does this train
possible come out of Newport TN via Biltmore and Spartanburg connecting to the Charlotte
to Atl Line? Any information would be helpful.
red rover
What you describe is exactly what I see pass through my area here in Boyd Station/Loudon,Tn.