Railroad Forums 

• Career Help

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
 #511284  by PRSLFAN

I am about to graduate high school in June and iam 19 years old. I have always been thinking about getting a job with Norfolk Southern or CSX as an engineer or conductor. I live near Philadelphia and I always had dreams of working for a railroad. I heard that the job is not great but i feel it will be a good experience for me since i am young and really do not have a lot of responsibilities. I was wondering if anybody who works for this railroad or any other freight railroad to give me their advice on what i should do. I know this is dumb for me to ask but, i just need some good advice.

Thank You

#511308  by RDG2111

you may want to try posting this in the employment forum, i'm sure you can find some help there

#511309  by RDG2111

you may want to try posting this in the employment forum, i'm sure you can find some help there

#511520  by Ironman

My advice is to go for it. Get in while your are young, because the pay sucks when you first hire out. The low pay is easier to deal with when you are younger, plus your senority will be much better when you are older. Which is when it really matters.

I wish I had hired out when I was 21, way back in 1992. Instead I waited until '05. My first couple of years I did pretty good, but now things have tightend up, and I get bumped off all the good paying jobs all the time.

I'd be happy to get into more detail, but I'll have to do it later.

I just got home after almost 16 hours on duty(outlawed after 12) and I'm kind of tired.

#511587  by gp80mac

First of all - forget what your dreams are. This is a job, pure and simple. There is no glory in it.

Always have a back up plan. NS is still hiring in Harrisburg, but it seems everywhere else it is slow. The way they want to fire you for everything, make sure you have something, anything, to fall back on.

Otherwise - go for it. Better to have the job, find out it sucks, then not to have it and always wonder....

If I had to do it again - I'd try to hire as a car inspector or intermodal clerk. Then you get decent pay, home every night, regular hours.. and those guy seem to enjoy their work more than us railcrew guys.

#511612  by PRSLFAN

i should of not typed "Dreams" but I guess I might as well check out other positions.

Thank you everyone for the advice

:-)

#511632  by gp80mac

If you are truly interested in getting hired as a conductor - I know Harrisburg is going to hold some more hiring sessions. Sure you'd have to move, but there is more work there than a lot of other places.

#512292  by NS Shire Oaks

I'm 19 as well but already work for NS over here near Pittsburgh as a conductor trainee and i like it alot, i hired in November and started at the end of January, yes Harrisburg is always hiring, i hear its because management is absolutly horrible on that division and most trainess quit due to that and also alot of people can't pass the drug test cause i guess thats a problem there, but i really like our management and no one has a problem here with the bosses an everyone gets along well with each other.

#513772  by musicmarine

Dude, go for it. If you hire out now and like it you are set for life. These guys are right that it can be hard sometimes. The RR is feast of famine. I have not seen it first hand but have heard the stories from the older guys. The upsides are the rail industry is doing nothing but growing right now. The price of gas is helping and gas is probably never gonna go back down so it will probably contine to grow for years. Plus, the RR can't be shipped overseas to have cheap labor, gotta pay us here to do it. The pay is great in my opinion, at 18 you will probably make more money than you ever have, after you mark up. The work is not hard, just taking them outta one track and putting them in another. The benifits on the RR are second to none. The retirement is much better than anything social security will ever give you if it is even around when you are retirement age. At your age you can put in 40 to 50 years and retire and you will probably never have to worry financially about anything, plus your spouse will get a retirement from the RR as well w/o ever working a day. The spouse draws 48% of whatever RR retirement that you draw, so if you draw 4000 she/he will draw 1920 dollars on top of that making you together bringing home 5920 dollars retired. For a job that requires no more than a HS education you cant beat that. Those figures are off the top of my head, the amount you draw depends on how long you work (# of yrs) and your highest paying years, so it could be less or it could be more.

You will probably go through a time every now and then where you don't make much, but that will happen when you are low seniorty, the longer you are with the RR the easier it is to depend on the paycheck because the more seniorty you have the easier it is to get the jobs that you want.

Over all is is a really good job. I wish I had hired out at 18, I would be in the dependable period by now.

Go for it, you can always quit if you don't like it.