Railroad Forums 

• N&W 611 Moved

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
 #446716  by ziggy44

Does anybody know why they moved the 611?? I work going west but had to work the resource (trash train) Monday and saw the 611 at the Roanoke shops. Also they moved the other steamer also, not sure of the number. I know they had taken the Nickle Plate to Ohio.
??????

#446759  by ThoroughBreed

Maybe NS is going to rebuild her and will start doing excursions like the Southern did. If we could be so lucky.

#447158  by NS212

They moved 611 and 1218 to the east end shops to take part in an employee open house. They will remain there until the lead into the museum is rebuilt. While pulling them out they almost derailed them both because the lead was in such terrible shape.

#447882  by Schuylkill Valley

What is all wrong with 611 , that it hasn't ran in over 10 years?

Len.

#448000  by CSXT 700

Not so much of what is wrong with it as to why they havent ran it. More the fact that NS quit the steam program. I know it needs work before it could run again (tubes?). The 1218 sat disasembled for at leas a year was it?, before it came back.

#448004  by Schuylkill Valley

Who owns the locomotive?

Len.

#448186  by Schuylkill Valley

Thanks, That was nice to find out about the history on the great locomotive.

Len

#448321  by ziggy44

I know for a fact from talking to the trainmaster on my Div. that NS will no longer run steam on their main line tracks. He said the main reason is the new FRA laws and restrictions on passenger trains and I would say most of all is the insurance and liability. Our last steam certified engineer retired this spring and we only have two passenger qualified conductors still working. You have to be qualified on the territory you are running in order to have your FRA license. NS would never spend the money to train a steam engineer or qualify someone that is steam certified. I hate to think we may never see steam again on NS territory but the probability that we ever will is very slim. The hard fact is it is not profitable. :( :(

#448354  by AdamCKach

ziggy44 wrote:The hard fact is it is not profitable. :( :(
That's a shame. But, I wonder what the difference is between revenue profitability (passenger fares, whatever) and marketing profitability (think of what Union Pacific does).

#448393  by Schuylkill Valley

Yeah UP 844, has never been retired, it's been active since it was built.

Len

#448403  by jgallaway81

Well, talking to the Terminal Superintendent at one of the terminals I'm qualified in, I found out that our illustrious CEO is a hard core railfan.

Despite the image NS has gotten, its quite possible that the new guy on top just might have a totally different view on how to run the railroad.

Besides, until NS pulled the plug in 1994, the NS Steam Program was infact a PROFITABLE venture in that it carried its own weight. Part of the program's quantification was that it had to at least cover its own costs. When the higher-ups terminated the program in 1994, it wasn't due to costs, it was due to the fact that they needed the railline capacity for increased coal business.

If they were even thinking about it, the smart thing to due would be to complete the new Part 230 upgrades include the Form 4 for the FRA (all that would be required for a return to service, however most likely both 611 and 1218 would be pretty close to up to date, just needing basic overhauls), but to also install GE/PRR cab signals with LSL's and to equip the engine with standard AAR MU controls... 3 hoses & 27-pin jumper. If that was the case, the next time you saw the OCS.. it would be the 611 leading with at least one canteen, an EMD A-B-B-A lashup, and the ENTIRE office car train.

You will notice, BOTH western roads command a MUCH larger chunk of territory, and both are associated with steam... UP with the 844 & 3985, and the BSNF with teh 4449 and 3751. It stands to reason that NS would want steam in the form of the 611 for their own public relations efforts.

#451101  by NS212

If there were any chance at all of 611 coming back, it would be while Moorman is CEO of NS. It would be so nice to see 611 leading the F's in an OCS or excursion run!