Railroad Forums 

• Trenton Cutoff

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
 #612545  by D&H557

good shot Bri!!
I was not old enough to remember the good old days of that line. But my dad tells me stories of MONSTER TRAINs back there. He always says "you should have been around when the E44's ran that line!!!". I remember living very close to the line, and could hear trains real late at night, and always wanting to be there. My dad always labeled it the Trenton Cutoff, so thats how i knew the line. Now all thats left are the bridges. I quess they wil never take them down, and i hope they don't, It acts as a reminder of what was.
 #612558  by Big Bri

Unfortunately the Martic Forge and Safe Harbor Bridges(on the A&S)ARE earmarked for demolition!!!!!
HOW the counties or NS intend to topple such huge structures is a mystery to me......
Especially the Safe Harbor Bridge which is Monsterous in size!!

Cheers,
Big Bri
 #715918  by Jim in S.E. Pa.

Re: The bridges along the Trenton cutoff..

Here are links to aerial shots of the two bridges at Playwicky Park over the Neshaminy creek in Langhorne, Pa.

http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v ... &encType=1

The first is the old ROW that has been removed. Notice the bridge is mostly made of brick.

http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v ... &encType=1

The second is the active ROW (also the improved grade circa 1903). This bridge is all stone.

Jim
 #760766  by ex Budd man

I live in Langhorne, just off of Maple Ave.(Pa 213), and I can tell you the cutoff is still active. Trains rumble through all the time. I don't know if I envy or feel sorry for the folks that bought those Mc mansions near Langhorne Terrace Church not knowing the rail lines were active. I'm far enough away to hear the traffic but not be annoyed by it.Some nights I'd swear they were coming down my street! :wink: My friend Nick ran PC trains in the 1970s but I don't know if he ever ran on the cutoff.
As a Septoid my duties sometime take me to Frazer Shop which is ironic since it is near the other end of the cutoff, between Amtrak and the cutoff, and most of the trip is on the PA turnpike which parallels the line for a good distance.
 #762129  by TREnecNYP

Is this the line that now hosts NJT rail yard at its eastern end in PA? Bit confused. I have lived in the area all my life, and have seen power go from CR blue to CSX and NS colors slowly over time, want to add some anecdotes but want to be correct on which trackage is being talked about.

- A
 #762883  by ex Budd man

Yes the cut off starts (or ends) at Morrisville Pa., currently NJT has a facility there. Trains are inspected and prepped for use at this yard. Google maps will give you a birds eye view of the entire cutoff from end to end. The Metroliners were parked there during testing since it isn't too far from the Budd plant.
 #767455  by Jim in S.E. Pa.

Hi guys,
Yes NJT occupies the east end of the old A yard (hump yard). They layed track and electrified it. I dont know if they own or lease from NS. But NS still has ROW through there. NJT uses that area for maintainence and storage. Seems they ran out of space at Trenton, and Hamilton.
As far as activity on the cutoff itself. NS still moves mostly double stacks, and a few mixed consists. Traffic is nothing like it used to be though. When the E-44's ruled that line, and the westbound ROW was still in place, you would see traffic at least once an hour both ways. And sometimes as close together as 15 minutes. These were monsters, usually 100+ cars at 50 mph. Almost always 2 E-44's on the nose. I did see an occasional GG-1, and a few diesel switchers draggin MOW equipment.
 #767856  by Jim in S.E. Pa.

Ex Budd Man.

I know exactly where ya mean about the new homes near the church. They have to look out for golf balls too....LOL

J
 #773142  by TREnecNYP

Would be cool if they put the wires all back up and ran pax trains through to the other side of bucks county.

- A
 #773679  by Jim in S.E. Pa.

The possibilty of utilizing that line for Pass service has been tossed around in discussion for years, even as CR (and then) NS were hard a work tearing up the original ROW (old west bound). The cantenary and all the supports were taken down to make head space for "double stacks".

I dont forsee the laying of new trackage, or stringing of cantenary happening anytime in the near furture, (if ever).

Its a good idea for the county, but NS apparently aint interested, and along with the expenditure required to replace the track and the wires, and all related gear, it just aint gonna happen..
Jim
 #774945  by Big Bri

NS trains that use the old "Trenton Cut-off"(NS Morrisville Line)between MA and KING.
Intermodal:
20Q/21Q
20E/21E

Mixed Freight:
14G (Conway-Morrisville)
17G (Morrisville-Conway)

Slabs: {as needed}
66Z (mty Gons)
67Z (loaded Slabs in Gons)

Local freight from Abrams to Coatesville and return between KING and GLEN:
H-83 or H-3A
H-4A relieves the H-83 in K.O.P

Bri
 #778139  by TREnecNYP

Jim in S.E. Pa. wrote:The possibilty of utilizing that line for Pass service has been tossed around in discussion for years, even as CR (and then) NS were hard a work tearing up the original ROW (old west bound). The cantenary and all the supports were taken down to make head space for "double stacks".

I dont forsee the laying of new trackage, or stringing of cantenary happening anytime in the near furture, (if ever).

Its a good idea for the county, but NS apparently aint interested, and along with the expenditure required to replace the track and the wires, and all related gear, it just aint gonna happen..
Jim
You know how badass it would be to ride a scoot (shuttle) from west trenton to trenton on such a short move vs going to philly????? Too bad it isn't likely at all, as you said. Much of the original cat towers are still there, even if the wire mount arms are gone. Speaking of the NJT yard, it looks about 1/3 the size it used to be in its previous life. I heard stuff about expansion there, wonder if there's anything to it.

- A