Railroad Forums 

• NS Purchases A-B-B-A F Units

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.

#345257  by lvrr325

Engineer James wrote:No way. Man, Those were nice units. Why did Larry's want them?
They spent more time out of service than in, or used for HEP only. Then again using a commuter unit with passenger gearing for stone train service can have that effect on things.

#345715  by Engineer James

I totally agree..... BN almost did that when they tried to use the E's as freight locomotives.....

#345735  by ExEMDLOCOTester

I remember a couple of the Old Testers discussing the good old days. One of them said the RR's loved to put the E-8's on the Pig trains of the 60's because the E's were geared as Passengers and could deliver the pigs faster than any other Loco.

Is this true?

#349527  by Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

The NS F9's will be painted in a Southern-inspired black & gold scheme according to official word given to either Trains or Railfan & Railroad magazine. I'm almost 100% sure it was the latter.

I will be heading out to the Altoona/Cresson area this weekend hopefully they will have one of the B's or maybe an A sitting outside again. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

#350429  by Tadman

EMDtester; for picture proof of E8's in pig duty, check out Alan Lind's "Limiteds Along the Lakefront", about IC, where it shows a few pics of E8's at Steunkel Road with TOFC trains. I've also seen many pics of EL running TOFC trains behind E's, and also heard that NYC did the same after the 1967 paring of passenger services west of Bufallo. Also, it's worth noting ATSF moved their FP45's from passenger to freight service in 1971, and adopted Amtrak's SDP's around 1976. I don't know if these were ever re-geared. MILW also had five FP45's eventually moved from passenger to freight, although at the bankrupt MILW, they could be found doing about anything - GBN might know better than I about how the FP45's were used.

And - what does it take to re-gear a locomotive? Does that mean new traction motors?

#350504  by ExEMDLOCOTester

Tadman wrote:EMDtester; for picture proof of E8's in pig duty, check out Alan Lind's "Limiteds Along the Lakefront", about IC, where it shows a few pics of E8's at Steunkel Road with TOFC trains. I've also seen many pics of EL running TOFC trains behind E's, and also heard that NYC did the same after the 1967 paring of passenger services west of Bufallo. Also, it's worth noting ATSF moved their FP45's from passenger to freight service in 1971, and adopted Amtrak's SDP's around 1976. I don't know if these were ever re-geared. MILW also had five FP45's eventually moved from passenger to freight, although at the bankrupt MILW, they could be found doing about anything - GBN might know better than I about how the FP45's were used.

And - what does it take to re-gear a locomotive? Does that mean new traction motors?
what does it take to re-gear a locomotive?

A new (to the unit) Bull & Pinion gear. Gear Puller for the Pinion & Dry Ice for the Bull Gear (Thats the way we did it).

Does that mean new traction motors?

No. (DC Traction) Freight or Passenger used the same Motors, Alternator, & Engine.

#350880  by HEMI_HARVESTER

General wrote:Give them some time with some of these engineers and these engines will be torn up like the rest of the NS fleet.
You must be a EX-Con-Rail guy to talk like that

#350972  by Engineer James

Well, he's right. Typically speaking, NS has not been good to older locomotives in its fleet. I mean look at the SD9's. They are pretty banged up. But, we will have to see how they yield. Are they gonna do a System show-off??

#351202  by HEMI_HARVESTER

Engineer James wrote:Well, he's right. Typically speaking, NS has not been good to older locomotives in its fleet. I mean look at the SD9's. They are pretty banged up. But, we will have to see how they yield. Are they gonna do a System show-off??
The SD9's your talking about, where built in 1955 or so,and used 24hrs a day since. WAKE-UP they are old, out dated and completely worn out!

They may be unusual and getting rare and have Nostalgic value to some.

BUT you are talking about a MAJOR CORPORATION that wants and needs results. They simple can't reply on 50 year old equipment, every hours they are down (whe working) is time and money lost.

Sorry but they are ALL ABOUT THE MONEY...nothing else they could care-less what locomotives they have as long as they are getting the most for the least.

As far as the F units, I know nothing about them. I would really be surpirised if they really bought them or ever use them. On most Company trains I have ever seen or been on , they use what ever power is availiable at the time. Some RR's even have Special Engines for M of W trans,but not the NS.

As far as NS crews tearing up Locomotives, you are far off on that as well. (it happens,but but not JUST on the NS) Come on we have to live on these things sometimes 10-12 hrs or more at a time Why would we tear them up? We work enough with out making it any worse!

Sorry to bring you into the real world.

#351333  by CSXT 700

As far as the F units, I know nothing about them. I would really be surpirised if they really bought them or ever use them. On most Company trains I have ever seen or been on , they use what ever power is availiable at the time. Some RR's even have Special Engines for M of W trans,but not the NS
I would guess that's the best reason why they got them. That way those regular locos, can go back to what they were built for, hauling freight, not passenger cars.

#351404  by Bryanjones

HEMI_HARVESTER wrote:
Engineer James wrote:Well, he's right. Typically speaking, NS has not been good to older locomotives in its fleet. I mean look at the SD9's. They are pretty banged up. But, we will have to see how they yield. Are they gonna do a System show-off??
As far as the F units, I know nothing about them. I would really be surpirised if they really bought them or ever use them. On most Company trains I have ever seen or been on , they use what ever power is availiable at the time. Some RR's even have Special Engines for M of W trans,but not the NS.

NS really did buy the A-B-B-A set of F units and this has been confirmed. The units are currently at the Juniata shops for a complete overhaul, reportedly being rebuilt to GP38-2 mechanical specs, though that detail is not confirmed. Its hoped that the units will be released sometime in the late spring. It won't be too long until NS has its own special power in service for business trains.

Bryan Jones
Brooks,KY

#351686  by General

HEMI_HARVESTER wrote:
General wrote:Give them some time with some of these engineers and these engines will be torn up like the rest of the NS fleet.
No I hired on with the norfolk in 2003 and in my short career with them i have seen how incompetent a lot of these guys are. there were engineers that would run trains with the independant brake applied the whole time or the engines are not properly set up. I never made it to engineer but i learned a lot from the old timers to tell which engineers are no good. The stupid were plentiful down there in jersey.

#351715  by HEMI_HARVESTER

General wrote:
HEMI_HARVESTER wrote:
No I hired on with the norfolk in 2003 and in my short career with them i have seen how incompetent a lot of these guys are. there were engineers that would run trains with the independant brake applied the whole time or the engines are not properly set up. I never made it to engineer but i learned a lot from the old timers to tell which engineers are no good. The stupid were plentiful down there in jersey.
Thats right YOU never made it to engineer, If you did you could/would be held responsable for the damage, Did the old-timers tell you about the "TAPES" on the engines that record everything the engine does?
so if you flat spot the wheels etc, they WILL be looking for you! AND NJ is ex-CONRAIL as far as I know..

#351896  by Off Pending

General wrote:
HEMI_HARVESTER wrote:
The stupid were plentiful down there in jersey.
No more than were found at TSA or the Coast Guard! ;-)

#353788  by General

HEMI_HARVESTER wrote:Thats right YOU never made it to engineer, If you did you could/would be held responsable for the damage, Did the old-timers tell you about the "TAPES" on the engines that record everything the engine does?
so if you flat spot the wheels etc, they WILL be looking for you! AND NJ is ex-CONRAIL as far as I know..
I never made it to engineer because i left for a better life in a less expensive area better pay better health better benfits and better more competent coworkers. I am very well aware of the tapes and what they record and dont record. New jersey might be ex-CR territory but the majority of these foolish engineers came off the NS