Railroad Forums 

• SD9's

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.

#392909  by Shark

Engineer James wrote:U-Haul> Whats up with that Pic of 57 and a coach all about? The coach looks heavyweight..... and I did not know NS to have any.
The coach is an ex-Amtrak baggage car. It has Morristown & Erie reporting marks and has been in the Pavonia shop for a while now.

#399107  by Conrail1990

I just saw that photo. Really sad to see them go.

R.I.P. NS SD9's

#399637  by jgallaway81

Don't be so quick to start the SD9M's funeral pyres just yet.

Rumors abound at Altoona Rose.... also just as a curiosity side-note... As we pulled out today on an early morning helper, I noticed that the SD9's had been modified such that the old units had been replaced withthe new electronic bell systems that adorn the late DASH-9/ES40DC's

#400082  by jgallaway81

I realize nothing was done since retirement... I past the funeral train as it came in from conway the other day... I was westbound on a helper.

I just thought it interesting that such modern modifications would be made to such an antique diesel.

One rumor I heard, and my personal opinon is that they are destined for slug-ification.

Teamed with a repowered SD-40-2, an SD-9M slug set would make a good helper set. But I have nothing to base that on other then my rather simplistic understanding of diesel tech... my expertise is steam.

#401623  by lakeshoredave

I used to see these SD9's on different parts of the NS' ECBU when I lived in North Carolina over the last few years. Its a shame to see them be retired. I saw Tony Kimmel's shot of these units being taken to Altoona on a hospital train move. I assume this is to make room on the locomotive roster for new units that NS is acquiring.

#401916  by GN 599

Fortunately there is a decent second hand market for EMD's. I bet a few of them find new homes. (hopefully)

#430421  by Wanderer

At least two units have Louis Dreyfus Corporation, LDCX. There is the possibility of two additional units, but that is still awaiting confirmation.

#432384  by esprrfan

Here's one in transit

#432497  by nsrayman

Ex # 58 , ready for new paint

#432520  by Wanderer

FWIW...LDCX2019 is ex. NS51.